HKG (in transit)

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Thank you all. I have now reversed the meetings and will exit – and then go back to the CX lounge for the second and then shower.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Martyn – it sounds like you are all set, but just to add there is a decent Marriott hotel close to HKG. Not as close as the Regal, though there is a shuttle service between it and the airport.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Again this airport simply amazes me.

Arriving in transit, from aeroplane through transit security, upstairs and into the Pier lounge – 4 minutes and 45 seconds.

BT – you should should have an award category for Best Airport to transit.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Martyn, your arrival gate must have been close to the transfer point near gate 65, or gate 36 for the W1 transfer point, you were first or one of the first off the plane and security was quiet. Nothing wrong with that and I have experienced similar transit times and equally the staff at CLK are quick to open up other channels when it gets busy , which it does from 6.30am in the morning.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@CathayLoyalist2 – wasn’t the first off, but timed from stepping off the aircraft – and yes, was close to 65.

Posted in sheer frustration – arrive in HKG in rush hour, very passenger focused, its quick, no drama or shouting and you get a smile: arrive T5 (C gates) at the start of the morning rush hour, in transit, departure from C gates, you get this..

It’s embarrassing….

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Message for Tom or Alex. Given Martyn´s photo and the obvious failings at T5, have you asked for an interveiw with whomever it is that can or could change the security opening times amongst many other issues?. I ask as I am interested if there is a scintilla of customer service in the mindset of whoever makes these decisions on opening times

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@CathayLoyalist – the problem is very simple. The airport (or T5 security) opens for flights to land at one time and for passengers to transit at another time.

The picture was taken at C gates, where I landed from HKG at 4.35am, my onward was at 6.20 from C gates. The security team showed up at around 5.10am, drinking coffee in a side room and decided to open the security at 5.20am. Meanwhile slightly to the right of the sign (purposely left out of the shot) was a BA agent sat at her desk who was there throughout, who just shrugged her shoulders waiting for the security staff. This is not a BA issue, but a Heathrow airport issue.

I just love the ease HKG makes transiting passengers feel, putting the passenger first, unlike T5, where passengers appear just to be an inconvenience.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I’m at T5 waiting for a flight to Hong Kong.

Yes, we can ask Heathrow about this.

Tom

K1ngston
    Participant

[quote quote=937211]Again this airport simply amazes me.

Arriving in transit, from aeroplane through transit security, upstairs and into the Pier lounge – 4 minutes and 45 seconds.

BT – you should should have an award category for Best Airport to transit.[/quote]

Nitpicking I am sure Martyn, but I have arrived into HKG on one or two occasions and found the transit not as you say… I would say 75% of the time it is but on those odd occasions can be quite frustrating too… If we are comparing to Terminal 5 at LHR then there is no comparison, but if you were to compare to say SIN then I would have to go with SIN over HKG

Nogbad01
    Participant

One point in HKGs favour is the special “numpty train” (I was that numpty!).
    I was on LH and checked in early for the late night A380 service to MUC.
    LH use Hong Kong airlines lounges, and when I checked in, the woman at the desk told me to go to the lounge near gate 207.
    So, off I toddle, on the packed train to the remote gates.
    When I get there, I am thinking “hmm, this does not look familiar”, so checking the lounge pass I realise she must have said gate 23.
    The problem is, the train is one way only…
    After a bit of a cold sweat moment I notice a small sign for gates 1-80 (I think) pointing at a lift. This heads down to a platform and a 2 carriage train that seems to exist purely for numptys like me to get back to the proper terminal. Totally empty, apart from me, it takes me back to the main gates and a brisk walk to the lounge.
    The joke was definitely on me though, as I was told that tonight the flight would be leaving from the remote gates and I really should have been in the lounge over there. Doh!

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls