Hilton Hotels: excellent response to Coronavirus crisis.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

• PatJordan
    Participant

Earlier today, I received the following email from Hilton:

Dear Patrick,

On behalf of the entire Hilton team, we hope this message finds you in good health. As the world adapts to these unusual circumstances, I wanted to share what we are doing to extend your Hilton Honors benefits and to support our communities during this turbulent time.

Your Hilton Honors Status and Points

We consider it our privilege to have you as a Hilton Honors member and we want to show our appreciation by extending your benefits:
    2019 Status Extension. All members whose 2019 status was scheduled to be downgraded on March 31, 2020—whether it’s Diamond, Gold or Silver—will automatically receive an extension through March 31, 2021.
    2020 Status Extension. We are extending your 2020 member status through March 31, 2022. This means you will continue to enjoy all the Diamond, Gold or Silver benefits you have access to today for the next 24 months.
    Points Extension. We will pause the expiration of all Points scheduled to expire between now and December 31, 2020.
    Weekend Night Rewards Earned on Eligible Hilton Credit Cards. We have extended the expiration date of all unexpired Weekend Night Rewards as of March 11, 2020, and all new ones issued until August 30, 2020, through the end of next summer (August 31, 2021).
    Your Travel Flexibility

We remain committed to offering you flexible booking options. Given these unique circumstances, we are making further adjustments to our individual booking policies:
    Existing Reservations. All reservations—even those described as “non-cancellable” (“Advanced Purchase”)—that are scheduled for arrival on or before June 30, 2020 can be changed or cancelled at no charge, up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival day.
    New Reservations. Any reservations you make—even those described as “non-cancellable” (“Advanced Purchase”)—that are booked between today and June 30, 2020 for any future arrival date can be changed or cancelled at no charge, up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival day.
    If you need to adjust reservations made via the Hilton website, app or call center, you can change your reservation here or contact the Hilton Guest Assistance team. If you need to adjust reservations made through another travel site, please contact them for assistance.

Supporting our Communities

We are proud to support the many communities impacted by the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) around the world.
    Health Care and First Responders. We are partnering with federal, state and local governments to provide housing for first responders and health care workers.
    Financial Assistance. Our Hilton Effect Foundation has pledged financial assistance to organizations helping those impacted by COVID-19.
    Donating Hilton Honors Points. We have made it possible for our members to donate Hilton Honors Points to World Central Kitchen, Clean the World, Project Hope or Direct Relief. All Points donations will be converted into cash and sent directly to the organization.
    COVID-19 has created unprecedented challenges for our industry, our hotels and our Team Members. While we have done all we can to limit changes for our people, without a traveling public we simply have fewer guests to welcome. As a result, we have suspended operations at many of our hotels and made the difficult decision to furlough some of our hotel Team Members. I am pleased to share that we are partnering with a number of companies looking to quickly expand their workforce, and that our incredibly talented Team Members will experience an expedited application process across many of these temporary opportunities.

We will continue to regularly update our COVID-19 page with our most up to date information. Our team is available to assist you day or night should you have any questions, and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay.

Sincerely,

Chris
    Chris Nassetta
    President & CEO, Hilton

My Hilton Hhonors Gold was due to expire on March 31st, and in all honesty I hadn’t given it much thought.

Receiving this very welcome email was an unexpected surprise, and taking this course speaks volumes for Hilton’s customer service. It remains to be seen whether other Hotel (or indeed Airline) loyalty programmes will follow Hiltons’ example.

Stay safe everybody.

Montysaurus
    Participant

Me too! Excellent action and good PR as well. Will BA follow suit?

fatbear
    Participant

I have just cancelled a prepaid, non cancellable reservation with Hilton for May. I wasn’t able to do this online, and had to call a toll free number. However, the call was immediately answered.

I was informed that the refund may take upto 4 weeks to be processed. At least I will eventually get my money back !

Montysaurus
    Participant

In the 25 years or so I have been an HH member I have always found Hilton excellent people to deal with. It is obviously part of the overall culture whether it be a directly owned hotel or a franchise.

1 user thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

I also received this email, and agree with Montysaurus about their positive approach. Many years ago they made an admin slip up and I was, wrongly, moved down a tier from Diamond. A few emails later I got a message from a guy called Weinstein, who was then President of HH, apologising and extending my Diamond status for two years. Impressive.

Tramor01
    Participant

I also received this email yesterday, and was impressed by their response to the current situation.
    Shangri La also did a similar thing a few weeks ago.
    It will be interesting to see how Marriott react?

Keith
    Participant

Excellent response. As a 10 year diamond and 25 year membership I think this is appropriate and much welcomed. Well done HILTON. BA are you listening? My companion voucher eligibility is extended Thank you. Now give me more time to keep Gold or better roll over current status.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[postquote quote=994675][/postquote]

Thanks for posting about Hilton, Keith. Like others, no doubt, I am carefully noting which travel organizations (e.g. hotel chains, airlines) are being very helpful these days – and which are not.

The very helpful ones will get my custom when things start moving again. I don’t forget.

Keith
    Participant

giving up BA wrote about remembering who helped and who didn’t in these dark days. I must say BA were great when I cut short a USA family visit. No fees no charges and honoured my avios upgrade.But as above I’m waiting for BA to make an announcement about tier points extension

Inquisitive
    Participant

All hospitality industry is doing the similar status quo at this point – Hilton is no exception.

Last few weeks I have received similar notes from Hilton, Hyatt, Holiday Inn, Marriott, Shangri-La and Pam Pacific group. Similar emails are received from SQ and Emirates.

It is obvious that situation is dire and there will be very few business travels for significant amount of time. So no one want to loose even a single customer.
    I hope this situation improves by summer.

fatbear
    Participant

[postquote quote=994632][/postquote]

Credit applied to my credit card today ie 2 days from cancellation

Montysaurus
    Participant

Someone posted that BA have more important things to worry about than EC status being extended for a year. It would take a minute or two to decide it. If Hilton could manage it why not others?

3 users thanked author for this post.

Guesswho100
    Participant

This reflects my experience of Hilton – because of coronavirus I had to cancel several reservations with Hilton. Following a call to the toll-free number, which was answered very quickly, all reservations were refunded in-full despite all being pre-paid. Fantastic service ! Compare this to the appalling service I received from British Airways – impossible to speak to anyone via the EC Gold Card telephone number then being asked to pay £17,000.00 – YES £17,000.00 – to change the departure date of a return flight from the USA. Later this was justified by British Airways on the basis they have to ensure all routes are profitable ! £17,000.00 to simply change a departure date is ridiculous especially as I had already paid circa £9000.00 for the tickets (2 in First), The contrast between the service from Hilton and British Airways was stark, but knowing BA, not unexpected. Thanks Hilton !

Swissdiver
    Participant

Accor was not as generous as Hilton, but still very decent: 6 months of points and nights to be credited on the account. Much appreciated!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I’m just updating the round-up pieces of what the airlines and hotels are offering.

Accor has offered Silver members a credit of 1,000 Status points and 5 Status nights, I see (I’m finding out the other rewards).

Guide to hotel loyalty programme changes

Just received some info about Aer Club as well (Aer Lingus).

Coronavirus: Which airlines have changed their frequent flyer policies?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls