Hilton Honours (lounge access) for Gold

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

So these are the rules:

◾If you are a Hilton Honors guest with Gold status, you and up to one additional registered guest in the same room will be granted complimentary access to the Executive Floor Lounge only if you receive a room upgrade to the Executive Floor or an upgrade to a room type that confers Executive Floor Lounge access benefits.

I find it strange that a benefit is at the discretion of whether the hotel grants a complimentary upgrade. What incentive does the hotel have to provide free upgrades?

Either there is a benefit or there is not… perhaps I have been spoilt over the years by SPG and now Marriot..(and I know Golds do not get lounge access with SPG or Marriot)….

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Martyn

All explained in detail in this video

peter19
    Participant

Martyn,
    I also find that rule slightly puzzling. There have been quite a few occasions where I have not been upgraded to a exec room but still have been granted lounge access in some select hotels. Although, its also gone the other way but more often that not I do find I get upgraded.

You would like to think its all based on capacity but on the occasion I feel its not the case.
    I tend to adopt the keep smiling option with a bit of banter at the front desk and keep my fingers crossed.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Hi Martyn,

Just picking up your comment on Marriott Gold benefits, if you are at this level you should automatically receive lounge access. If there is no lounge or it is closed you should receive breakfast in the hotel restaurant and failing this there are Marriott rewards points / cash as compensation. But this only applies at certain full service Marriott brands, not across the board at all the different Marriott brand hotels.

However, unless things have changed recently, this benefit is excluded from hotels they deem ‘resorts’. If you travel to Florida with work, a great many are classified in this way. Worth noting, as with Hilton Honors, there is always some small print / exclusions to be aware of.

Stowage222
    Participant

Martyn, this is a good point you raise. I have a HH Gold card. The rules indeed state that a guaranteed upgrade to the Exec floor gives you lounge access but a lot of Group properties (not all) allow Gold card holders into their lounges too. I’m off to Hilton Mesa in Arizona on Wednesday and I have lounge access there. Upgrades at check in happen to me occasionally.

I thought that Gold and Diamond members would be granted an automatic upgrade, subject to availability, on check in. Now, whenever you book a room at a Hilton group property they always say that you can receive a guaranteed upgrade using your Honors points. If you decline this option, on check in invariably there is no upgrade offered. We never know if the hotel is full so it’s a bit hit and miss. I’ve contacted Hilton to explain this anomaly to me but so far I have been completely ignored!

K1ngston
    Participant

Stowage222, that is the very reason I will never use HH again, since switching to SPG I have never had an issue they are by far the best for my needs here in Asia and beyond……

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Hi Martyn,

I think that HH tightened the lounge access a few years ago. Probably about the time they introduced their Visa credit card with which you can earn HH Gold by spending just £10,000. Not a big spend for a business traveller. It degraded the HH Gold card status, but I shall rely on that in a couple of years when my Diamond card expires.

I also have Marriott LTG and find this more beneficial in Europe, including UK, where full service Marriotts have lounges. There seems to be no question about having lounge access with the Gold card.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

“upgrades” have been discussed on many threads. The best way to achieve an upgrade is to pay for it – and quite frankly, a larger/executive style room has no interest for me – however, lounge access does, as this is where I conduct most of my meetings.

The hotel in question is in Hanoi, Vietnam & when I discussed this subject with Hilton Honours, their comment was “you have a point there”.

I will let you know how I get on, but I still think it is wrong that HH reward loyalty on a contingent basis and at the discretion of the hotel management.

Stowage222
    Participant

Martyn, this is one of my main problems with HHonors. As a brand, Hilton corporate seem to have no control over the various hotels operating under their banner worldwide. In my experience, each property decides who has access to their lounges. I’d rather have a single policy which states either Gold gets access or not across the board. As things stand I only find out if I can access the lounge when I check in. Also, I agree with you that this is the most important benefit to me, not the size of the room, which keeps me loyal to Hilton. As I don’t travel too much privately I can’t spread myself too thinly!

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Stowage222.

I agree totally. A brand should consistent across all outlets under that brand name. Hilton is no longer a brand, but is merely a household name.

During the credit crunch I learned that Hilton had downloaded responsibility for exec lounge offerings to a country by country basis. Within each country Hilton decided the minimum offering for exec lounges, and each hotel could offer that level, or higher, depending on the situation for each hotel.

Having criticised the Hilton “brand”, Marriott are no better. I fail to see how, in both organisations, adding the word Resort allows them to downgrade their product.

Nowadays, before booking, I e-mail the hotel directly and ask what benefits are offered at my status level. If they have a lounge I ask if it is a full service lounge, complimentary, with alcohol, or just a wine and beer lounge.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Having criticised the Hilton “brand”, Marriott are no better. I fail to see how, in both organisations, adding the word Resort allows them to downgrade their product.

Maybe it’s their last resort in a competitive market? 😉

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@Faroflyer.. thank you for your wonderful idea. In order to manage my expectation on arrival, I will email the hotel / GM in advance…. that’s on the basis I can find the email address..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls