Hilton Breakfast included in Rate – well maybe only half a breakfast!

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• SwissExPat
    Participant

Despite many years of business travel, I had a new experience last week with a Hilton hotel in Chicago (Palmer Curio Collection)

I was booking a room and decided to book a Breakfast inclusive tariff mainly so that I would not have any hassle with paying separately. The uplift compared to the “Room only” rate was approx. $36.

Upon checking in, the clerk handed me a sheet of paper to inform me of what my room rate included. This stated that my “Breakfast included” package was a Credit of $20 at the in-house breakfast facility and that to obtain this “credit” I would need to charge the actual cost of the breakfast to my room.

I hope this is not the start of a new trend.

1 user thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

SwissExPat – I remember something similar at a Bonvoy hotel in Celebration, FL. Breakfast rate translated at check in as being an $8 restaurant credit, enough for a coffee and a muffin…

Out of curiosity, I looked at the Hilton Palmer Curio hotel website and the breakfast rate had no small print either that I could see about, “the breakfast”.

I also saw the rates to park your car over night…

Add all the tips (for breakfast as well)… not a pretty evening as far as the bill is concerned…

I hope you enjoyed Chicago…

SwissExPat
    Participant

Apologies, I was mixing up my Hotels… must be the jet lag…

The actual hotel was the Logan Curio in Philadelphia…

BugAdvisor
    Participant

US Hiltons have long lagged behind those in Europe and Asia. There is a new rule for HHonors Gold/Diamond members, staying in US hotels, that they receive a similar paltry credit, rather than a full breakfast benefit. I suspect that they are also applying this to the ‘breakfast included’ rate.

My recent Hilton breakfasts in Krakow and Riga have been excellent – let’s hope Hilton don’t try and apply US policies here.

rferguson
    Participant

With Hilton it is the same for complimentary breakfast for Golds/Diamonds outside the USA. It only covers a ‘continental breakfast’.

The majority of the hotels just give you free rein at the buffet to enjoy a full breakfast. Some however, enforce the rule. When I visited the Hilton Brisbane and went for breakfast as my included benefit despite it taking place in the buffet breakfast I was pointed to the half of the buffet I had complimentary access to and was offered an additional rate of AU$20 to partake in the hot offerings.

FDOS
    Participant

@Swiss Expat

I find it difficult to believe the occurence you described is lawful, unless there was some T&C you missed?

ASK1945
    Participant

The problem may be what individual hotels promote specifically – it can’t just be buried in the T&C.

I have a Hilton in the Caribbean booked in the New Year and the confirmation reads:

Included with this room:
    Free WiFi is available in this room
    Breakfast for 2 people
    A cooked breakfast is included in your stay

That’s very explicit and I won’t take any nonsense about a credit amount.

dutchyankee
    Participant

rferguson is correct (of course) that as Elite Gold or Diamond, the ‘free’ breakfast due to status is Continental in non-USA hotels, and a credit in USA hotels (accept of course those brands where breakfast is free for all such as Hampton, HGI, Embassy, etc.). The only difference is that Diamond level have free access to the Executive Lounge which depending on the hotel will have a standard breakfast with one or two hot dishes up to some very lavish full breakfast buffets depending on location.

That said, the experience SwissExpat describes is purchasing a Bed and Breakfast rate, so not depending on status, which in my mind means full breakfast unless stated specifically otherwise that it would be only a food credit, which makes no sense considering the increase in price was far more versus the food credit offered. This is unacceptable and I would have fought this.

3 users thanked author for this post.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Stayed at the Canopy in Zagreb recently and was offered full buffet breakfast as a Gold.

Hilton do generally seem to be reducing Elite benefits slowly but surely. I am a Marriott Bonvoy Titanium and always get given to option to either have free full breakfast or a paltry number of points – the breakfast is by far the better deal.

Safe travels,

Simon

sailandfly
    Participant

@SimonRowberry – I live less than 2 mins walk from Canopy ZG 🙂 If you are coming back and in a mood for a beer pls let me know.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

@sailandfly Thanks. I am Zagreb very regularly so I will certainly do that.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls