Hilton booking – massive price variation depending on booking channel

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

• goalie11
    Participant

LP, I think you will find out that the internet is free to everyone that books through Hilton.com. It’s £7.50 if you book through any other means. It’s still free to Gold and Diamond card holders regardless of how you book.

Had the same last week at Hilton Islington. On logging in, under the windows to put your name and room number you will find a button for direct access to complimentary wifi.

MarcusGB
    Participant

great find!

Though most hotels whatever your level now for their FFP’s will NOT award you points, sometimes not even upgrades as they do not know you are coming unless you book through their sites.

SPG, Accor. Marriott, many Asian hotels like Mandarin Oriental, Shangri La / Middle East like Jumeirah, schemes will not either award you miles, know you are coming, and sometimes not give you the level benefits you have, unless booked directly with them. So all your perks may well be missed.

But at least you came through portal, well done.

RetiredLawyer
    Participant

Any time you meet the requirements of Hilton’s price guarantee, and don’t get the refund amount, you should make a complaint to the local consumer protection agency. You may or may not get anything, but the agencies maintain databases of complaints, and a spike in complaint volume will usually result in attention.

Some agencies are better than others, but most of the state and provincial governments in the U.S. and Canada, the member state governments in the E.U., and the state and territorial governments in Australia generally have effective consumer protection regimes. (I have no knowledge elsewhere.)

Graemeo1
    Participant

To LuganoPirate re:

‘I booked Hilton once with booking.com as it was £20 cheaper than with Hilton.com…’

Always worth remembering that if you’re travelling on company expense it’s usually more cost effective booking direct with UK hotels. Although your booking was £20 cheaper through booking.com you’re company will be unable to claim back the 20% VAT if booked through a 3rd party website.

I’m an Account Manager for a TMC and we’re continuously challenged by clients finding cheaper hotel rates through 3rd party sites. Once you factor in the 20% VAT reclaim your £20 saving may not look so attractive (especially as you were also unable to claim your HiltonHonors points).

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks Graemeo, useful advice for businesses, though in my case it’s paid out of my own pocket so it does represent a real saving for me.

BigDog.
    Participant

Graemeo1 – 22/10/2014 10:15 GMT

Given the hotel provides a full VAT invoice based on the agreed (booking.com) rate, on departure, I have had no trouble whatsoever claiming VAT back.
    Neither my accountant nor the VAT inspectors have raised an issue with it.

Graemeo1
    Participant

Apologies BigDog, booking.com are 1 of the exceptions to the rule. The majority of bedbanks are pre-paid (getabed for example) so the 3rd party VAT rule would apply 🙂

midorosan2
    Participant

I am a long time diamond member and enjoy the exec floor benefits especially in Hilton Shanghai. I only recently discovered however that if you book through a travel agent you do not get you HH points, any comments from other travellers welcome.

batterytraveller
    Participant

This blog post had a useful summary on earning terms and conditions with various major international chains including Hilton.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2014/12/30/ihg-rewards-club-sneaks-big-change-terms-conditions/

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I guess you have to weigh up which is more advantageous. Saving a £100 a night or paying for Internet and breakfast.

I think it quite wrong the hotel chains try and force you to book directly with them. You’re still being loyal to the hotel but just looking for a better deal. However, the chains are offering these prices to the discounters so why not just stop giving them these advantageous deals?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls