Hilton Abu Dhabi

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• goalie11
    Participant

I was in the process of making a reservation for my favourite hotel in Abu Dhabi when a banner popped up to say that as of 31st December it will no longer be part f the Hilton family, which is a real disappointment.

I think it opened in 1973 and was one of the first five star branded hotels in Abu Dhabi. It looks old from the outside now but has always been immaculately kept and maintained inside. The beach club, spa and restaurants have always been excellent and well patronised. A picture from 1975 attached.

I thought it may be going the way of the Fujairah Hilton which closed last year and bulldozed, I believe. I contacted a couple of friends that I have made over the years who work in the hotel to ask and they tell me that it is definitely leaving the Hilton portfolio but is remaining a hotel.

Staff have yet to be informed who the new owners/managers are so I thought I would ask if BT or any other regular contributor has any idea.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

LOL – it loos like a ‘correctional facility’ in that photo 🙂

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

Hi goalie11 – we’ll see what we can find out on this, and will post any update here.

DavidArnold
    Participant

Not the best photo but definitely not a correctional facility but a fine, reasonably priced 5 star hotel. l stayed at the Hilton Abu Dhabi earlier this year as part of a BA World Sale. If it is being rebranded l hope things remain at a high level as the beach club, Executive Lounge and other restaurants were high quality indeed. Always seems a popular and busy hotel with tourists from far and wide.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=900213]Not the best photo but definitely not a correctional facility but a fine, reasonably priced 5 star hotel. l stayed at the Hilton Abu Dhabi earlier this year as part of a BA World Sale. If it is being rebranded l hope things remain at a high level as the beach club, Executive Lounge and other restaurants were high quality indeed. Always seems a popular and busy hotel with tourists from far and wide.[/quote]

I’ve stayed in it many times and it is a good place – it does look like a prison in that photo, though 🙂 The Interconti is another mature, but good hotel in AD.

DavidArnold
    Participant

Yes stayed at the Intercontinental too but my recommendation is the Sofitel as service, rooms and lounge are exceptional. Nice to walk along that part of the Corniche too.

flyingdutchman1
    Participant

It was a very nice place as said, such ashame, as with the Fujeira Hilton, spent some nice days there !

alainboy56
    Participant

I will try to get the answer from Abu Dhabi National Hotels (ADNH) as they are the owners/managers of this property. Was involved in the last major refurbishment/extension in about 2000, and for any of you out with long memories, I attended the opening night of the ‘fun complex’ at the back, which was then the Safari nightclub, The Jazz bar and the Mexican Pub Hemingway’s, back in the early nineties.
    By the way, HILTON do have the Capital Grand on Old Airport Road which is much newer and a hotel that I frequent often, as it is away from the hustle and bustle of the Corniche with much more convenient parking etc.

P.S. The Correctional Facility is out of town on the mainland at Al Wathba 🙂

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

The property is to become a Radisson Blu – I’ll be writing a news piece on this in due course.

STORMIN'
    Participant

I was Bahrain based – 1981 to 1984 – and the UAE was a part of my patch where I regularly stayed in the Hilton in Abu Dhabi. I still do, albeit now from a London base. Back in the early 80s, it was even then, an unattractive building externally and out of sync with the other buidings going up at that time. The Intercon when it opened – I stayed there during its first week of operation – was positively palatial by comparison. However, my favorite hotel at that time was the Sheraton which was on the beach in those days and had a ten pin bowling alley in the basement! I note that the Hilton on the Cornich and also in El Ain are becoming Radissons but I have seen no mention of the fate of the relatic=vely new Hilton Capital Grand in Abu Dhabi – has anyone any news on that please?

7haponi
    Participant

I have a plan for Abu Dhabi in 2019, is there a fun place for families??

goalie11
    Participant

Thanks for the updates everyone and I did wonder if the Hilton in Al Ain was going to go the same way.

@Alainboy56
    I do remember much of the fun complex you mention but not that far back, and the Al Wathba ‘correctional facility’ ain’t no hotel 😟 I’m sure you would agree (not from direct personal experience of course).

alainboy56
    Participant

@STORMIN — The Hilton Capital Grand which I use quite regularly is staying in the Hilton fold as the building has a different owner.The other two are owned by ADNH (AD National Hotels – a Govt Co). This was originally built for the FORTE group who ran it for a couple of years, and then backed out, it then became an independent hotel called The MAFRAQ Hotel for the best part of a year until they managed to get HILTON on board. There are new HILTONS coming in YAS Island, but those 2 iconic buildings from the 70’s will pass into HILTON and ABU DHABI history. The one in Al Ain was originally built as a wedding facility by the late founding father of the UAE, Shk Zayed for the wedding of his 1st son and now President Shk Khalifa Bin Zayed. A hotel I first visited in 1985 after traveling from Ibri in Oman on a weekend military pass. Ahhh those were the days………………….

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls