Hidden credit card fees for foreign transactions

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)

• Sheliamd
    Participant

This scam is alive and well in Ireland and France. Any tourist spot I recently visited in Ireland, were billing the credit cards – visitors in the currency of their own country. When I explained to one American couple I was talking to that the conversion rate was a scam, and they should ask for the bill in euros and let Visa/Mastercard do the conversion their rates are bad enough at times. I myself had a terrible row in Paris at a show some time ago and refused to accept the bill in sterling. 30 minutes of hard arguing before they eventually found the machine that would give me the bill in euros . I was using a sterling card. Just another way of making a little profit with the credit crunch…. SPB

hkkings
    Participant

This type of practice has to be illegal!!! Or should be anyway. Company offering this type of services through Planet Payment are required to offer us a choice in local currency or changed currency. But they just don’t give you that option.

TheodorKerzner
    Participant

Some Uk hotels do it too for foreign (Canadian in my case) credit cards. Last Sunday, the Radisson Edwardian at Heathrow did it to me. They reversed the conversion at my request as I stood at the check out desk once I noticed what they had done but it took at least five minutes of computer entries by the desk clerk to accomplish it. Us foreigners need to remember to tell the check out clerk in advance of their printing your bill that you want the charge posted in local currency because otherwise they do it the expensive way without telling you in advance that the particular hotel will be doing that.

Binman62
    Participant

I experienced this for the first time in Changi airport and again in Sydney airport, but this was about 3 or 4 years ago. At the time I did not understand what is was about but my gut instinct and a quick calculation in my head, told me the exchange rates were not in my favour and I insisted both be reversed. This caused all sorts of problems and long queues but because it was a GBP transaction there was no loss when the transaction was reversed. I have not had this repeated since but that may be because I now use Amex and never Mastercard when travelling. Amex does change to USD and then to GBP but this is made clear in all the terms and conditions. Their charge is generally about 3% and they load this converting at a exchange rate 3% below the interbank rate on the day. In my experience this is certainly better that Travelex or cash and I get my miles, along with a degree of security. (I have had my card replaced in 12 hours before when out of the UK) The best option however was a Nationwide credit card…at least until Visa started charging. Now even they load 3% when outside the EU. I still use my flex account debit card to withdraw cash which to date does not appear to attract any charges……

Travelforus
    Participant

For UK-based travellers, Santander Bank offers a Mastercard credit card which, unlike most credit and debit cards, charges no fees for any purchases or cash machine withdrawals worldwide. The card is called ‘Zero’.

hkkings
    Participant

so using AMEX is the only way to totally bypass any possible ways of the DCC conversion? Does anyone know how is it done?

VintageKrug
    Participant

citi now charging 2.95%….

hkkings
    Participant

Actually, they all charge some kind of currency exchange fee but when it is not done by your Visa or Mastercard directly, the fee is a lot higher.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

An item on the news this morning caught my attention: A class action against the credit card companies who charged excessive fees for overseas transactions. This class action was based in the US and referred to overseas transactions by our American based cousins.

However, I note that the Amex case is still pending and wondered whether this could have any effect on those rip off charges we all suffer when using UK based cards when travelling.

The TV news is confirming that 10 million cheques have gone out.

Whilst the typical compensation payment seems dismal, the wider benefits could be far more advantageous.

http://www.kcby.com/news/consumertips/133937288.html

SimonS1
    Participant

With various actions going on and the UK government making noises about the general abuse of charges on credit cards by hotels and the likes of Ryanair time will soon be up for this type of con.

Stowage222
    Participant

BTW, the Santander “Zero” card is no longer offered. Not sure if they have a similar replacement card but I doubt it.

RichHI1
    Participant

Many US cards are now available that do not surcharge foreign transactions. Unfortunately the relationship with the banks, credit cards and UK government is much cosier.
    I am amazed people Re surprised at this. Every time you make a financial transaction anywhere, someone is trying to figure how to ring the most out of you. I believe the PC term is financial services.
    I try to pay with local card whenever I can but in Japan and China just have to select my merchants carefully.

Swissdiver
    Participant

I adopted some time ago a weird policy I am, after few years, quite happy with: I don’t give credit cards at check in! Nowhere in the world I was blocked by this as long I was ready to give a cash deposit. Sometime I gave more than requested to be on the safe side. But ultimately no charge for the wrong reason (yes I could claim but wasn’t because … well because I was “busy” – read too lazy), no weird forex rates, no hassle… Much better! Oh, and for the cash forex transaction, I have down my place a little booth – very efficient, no fees, excellent rates…

KeaneJohn
    Participant

Ryanair have said they will still charge the fee and call it an admin fee for booking their flight something that I will never pay.

I always get my bank to do the conversion and have an HSBC Advanced Account which like the former Santander ZERO card mentioned above charges no fees for drawing cash overseas something that has annoyed me immensely until getting my advance card.

I was only thinking the other day I can’t remember when the last time I took travellers cheques on an overseas trip with me.

deeteegee2
    Participant

You will find that the Post Office and Halifax Clarity Credit Cards charge 0% conversion fees. Not very exotic cards but save you a lot of money and overseas both Mastercards.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls