Hi-Fly's first A380 customer will be a "European operator."

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• Alex McWhirter
    Participant

The big picture: Hi Fly unveils coral reef-themed A380

Today Flightglobal reports that the first customer for the A380 will be a European carrier. Flights would take place in summer 2019.

Is Norwegian long-haul the unnamed carrier?

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/european-operator-first-to-sign-for-hi-fly-a380-450568/

JJ
    Participant

I also thought Norwegian too as they are already Leasing a Vamos 747. But could of course be BA or Virgin to help ease the Dreamliner issues.

Alex McWhirter
    Participant

Of course it could well be a regular conventional airline.

I only mentioned Norwegian as the latter is a long-standing Hi-Fly customer.

But it would make sense given that Hi-Fly has retained the SIA layout.

This morning @hifly_airline tweeted some pics of its A380’s first class interior.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’d imagine they got a very good deal on it and I’m surprised they are keeping First Class for what are charter ops. But then I see they also do charter work for governments and as we know, politicians love their luxury at our expense!

Alex McWhirter
    Participant

Today Hi-Fly released pics of the onboard accommodation. As you can see the interior is virtually the same as when SIA was the original operator.

From aviation24.be

Hi Fly released interior pictures of their first Airbus A380

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Stunning. I wonder if they have the shower as well? Not sure if SIA put them in their 380’s.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

We still don’t know the operating European carrier in 2019.

But a Danish publication reports that the A380’s first charter flight will be today.

Thomas Cook has chartered it for a flight between Copenhagen and Larnaca.

Chartergæster med A380 fra København

The return flight from Larnaca is expected to arrive in Oslo. The first choice had been Stockholm Arlanda.

openfly
    Participant

Interesting. I’m surprised that LCA can handle the A380. LCA might get a shock after it lands when it goes through the runway/taxiway surfaces! Check the LCN guys…..

Poshgirl58
    Participant

I’m also surprised LCA can handle the A380. Apparently, there’s been three previous landings. The most recent was QF1 in December 2016, for a medical emergency.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

The A380 flight did take place although I can’t find any pics of it at Larnaca.

Today the news in France is that Air Austral will be using an A380 on various dates in August and September.

The A380 would be rostered to operate a few services between Paris CDG and La Reunion.

Could this be the Hi-Fly A380 ? More details are awaited.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=877384]Is Norwegian long-haul the unnamed carrier?[/quote]

Stand by for an announcement concerning selected LGW-JFK flights this month !

alainboy56
    Participant

@AMcWhirter — your assumption is correct – Air Austral are leasing the aforementioned A380 to cover for their B789 RR Trent issues.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

alainboy56 – Thank you. Here’s a report from ATW.

http://atwonline.com/leasing/air-austral-wet-lease-hi-fly-a380-grounded-787-inspected

The lease between August 24 and September 9 will coincide nicely with the current lease to Norwegian.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Norwegian’s first A380 flight operated LGW-JFK yesterday.

Unfortunately the ground handling facilities weren’t up to the job.

The A380 departed LGW roughly four hours late. This meant that the departure time for the return flight JFK-LGW was delayed until 0300hrs this morning.

In the end the A380 didn’t depart JFK until almost 0500 (this morning) according to reports from the US.

Let us hope that with experience there will be better timekeeping.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls