HEX introduces ‘new’ trainsets

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

The HEX trains now entering service have lost the distinctive appearance of the original Spanish rolling stock which has operated HEX since its launch.

Over the years a good number of readers have complained about the toilets being out of service.

HEX used to promise the toilets issues would be fixed …

One hopes the situation will be improved with these replacement trains which appear to be standard GWR rolling stock.

When HEX was launched it was controlled by BAA (the then Heathrow operator).

(Note: The Spanish-built HEX trains have been towed away for storage. They have had a hard life. Readers may remember they were withdrawn from service temporarily in 2016 after a “structural fault” was found on one of the trains)

Today HEX is managed by Heathrow but it’s operated by GWR.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

I saw the thread title and expected info on a new company to rival Hornby.

3 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Apologies for any confusion David.

The reason why I started this thread is because, although we wrote about the ‘new’ trains some months ago, HEX did not at that time provide us with a photo of their frontal view.

Bullfrog
    Participant

Exactly my thinking too .. a new set of model trains.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

On second thoughts I ought to have written “Heathrow Express.” But as you are regular travellers I believed you would know the abbreviation.

Anyway by comparison here is a photo of the original Heathrow Express trains.

I believe their appearance remains fresh even though they are 25 years old.

They have a further advantage of allowing ‘step free’ access .. something today’s replacement stock does not offer.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Experiences shows when it comes to trains that newer is not better. Gatwick Express first class seats were great until recently. I fear will see the same disgrace with HEX…

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Those original Heathrow Express sets *may* all be scrapped eventually.

Rail fans have posted photos on social media showing several sets being towed from their deport to Newport for scrapping.

Previous rail rolling stock had a long shelf life. Maybe 40 years, sometimes even longer.

But modern trains and their complexity mean they have a shorter lifespan.

As we reported in 2016 Eurostar intended to scrap most of its original Alstom trainsets. At that time they were little more than 22 years ago.

It is true that Eurostar retained a handful of the Alstoms but, even pre-Covid, these made only an occasional appearance.

Chances are slim they will ever operate again for Eurostar if and when the pandemic is over.

Currently Eurostar is operating just two trains a day from London. Both are day return schedules which mean only two (Siemens) trainsets are required.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I have written a report on the refurbished trains for Heathrow Express.

Heathrow Express unveils “new” trainsets

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls