Heavy snow closes new Istanbul airport

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

This evening Istanbul airport has tweeted the news that its has been badly affected because of heavy snowfall.

Worryingly there have been cases where passengers have been or are still stranded on board aircraft.

Evacuations of stranded passengers are continuing.

https://twitter.com/igairport/status/1485696491779989518/photo/2

France’s @airplusnews has provided a clip of the scene at the airport.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Disruption in Greece and at Athens airport as well

AMcWhirter
    Participant

This tweet from the airport shows the situation a short time ago.

The snow was so heavy that the roof of a cargo hangar collapsed during the night.

Poshgirl58
    Participant

Where’s Joe Petroni when you need him?!

(Tweet courtesy of @SteffenA380 earlier today)

1 user thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

That is astonishing – and presumably that was a reasonably new building. I hope no one was hurt

jjlasne
    Participant

Did the Athens airport stop operations or was it in better shape than the Istanbul one?

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

There were lots of cancelled flights but I don’t think it completely stopped operations.

At one point it was also acting as an emergency shelter for people who had become stranded on the ring road around Athens.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello jjlasne- I don’t know now about the airport situation but this report dated January 26 reveals the extent of the traffic disruption.

https://www.euronews.com/2022/01/26/greek-prime-minister-apologises-after-heavy-snowfall-strands-hundreds-of-vehicles?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1643210141-1

EU_Flyer
    Participant

As a resident of Athens, i can attest it was extraordinary how extreme the weather was for a few days in all parts of Athens. Even the islands were covered in snow. 2 weeks later, there is still snow about.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls