Heathrow’s 3rd runway and capacity

Back to Forum
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Anonymous

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I have always wondered why a solution to Heathrows much needed 6th terminal and 3rd runway, hasn’t already been seen in an area of land about 15 miles north of the airport.

Northolt has a runway large enough for most commuter size aircraft such as the new Bombardiers which seem to be appearing at Heathrow. If all biz jets and commuter aircrafts movements were moved to Northolt this would certainly free up some valuable slots and space.

I know Northot has limited movements per year, but with quieter jets and the jobs this will bring to the area, i am sure it could be a welcome move.

Instead of a massive budget for developing Heathrow, investment should be directed at a fast link Heathrow to Northolt as quite clearly the M25 could not cope. Rather than describe this option as a new airport, why not look at the feasibilty of marketing it as a new terminal for Heathrow. With a fast link between Heathrow and Northolt, i cant see the timings be much different from say T1 to T5.

One other point on the third runway. Listening to a radio phone in about the cancellation of the third runway for Heathrow, a comment was made about Heathrows previous 3rd runway. Does anyone remember the fourth runway at Heathrow. Was planning permission or the equivalent granted for Heathrows original design to have 4 runways – if so, why isnt that still valid?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls