Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 105 total)

• Binman62
    Participant

LPPSKrisflyer……….absolutely …….i am very envious as I sit here in the conservatory looking at heavy grey snow filled clouds…..brrrrrrr

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Airport operator is asking for airlines to reduce flights by 30% due to snow? (reported on another thread)

It’s winter, it snows in the UK. Happens most years. Whats the fuss all about.

Probably better if a bank holiday was created “Snow Bank Holiday”, cos it looks like there is going to be travel chaos for the next few days.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Just came through Zurich on way to S. Africa. It was -12C and waiting in line were 10 snow ploughs all manned and ready to go in case more snow fell.

And to boot ZRH airport fees are a fraction of Heathrows.

Binman62
    Participant

The fuss Martyn is that the nations major gateway has again failed to cope with a few inches of snow. I understand airport was closed  on Sat night to clear runways and consequently, and based on what is on web sites, BA cancelled all flights to SIN BKK and SYD and Qantas only managed to get their last flight out at 5am. To be accurate they delayed them 24 hours and cancelled today’s! 

We have known this was coming for days and yet LHR remains a national embarrassment and completely unable to deal with weather. LGW meanwhile seems to be operating as normal.

Long haul Arrivals are scattered across Europe and UK with about 3000 people not where they should be and of course aircraft and crew also stuck and so the delays will go on for days. 

Departures have 90 min delays at best on the limited departures that are running and some stands not cleared……due limited resources over night………. What?

News reports talk of 16cm of snow and if that were true then it would in part be a reason for some disruption. I live less than 30 miles from LHR and there has not been more that 3 or 4 cm and I have been able to get out in the car on roads that have not been treated.

The farce today at LHR is simple incompetence and poor planning from a firm that remains too focused on retail and running shopping malls. Though even that they do badly, just ask those dealyed last nightbif they could buy a coffee at 3am in T3.

ChrisBuda82
    Participant

LHR has had a week known that this was coming all they been doing is ******, LHR owners just think about profit the most LHR are bleeding the Airport dry of money, they where doing this at Gatwick and other airports they owned and still own.

I said before and some people do like this but some things should be owned by the state like airports, trains, buses, power, gas and water. What is even wrost that many of these compaies that own are water and gas etc are owned by other countrys not private companies but state companies.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

FWIW when we boarded in SIN last night the information display suggested we would land at LHR at 06.21, it only altered once and reforecast the time to be 06.22 which was correct. All seemed OK on landing and there was no sense that we took an abnormal route to the stand.

It was more after leaving the airport there was a problem. I know there have been major cancellations but give no more snow seems to be forecast it may have been overkill to avoid the situation of last year. Either way BAA do not look very clever.

The flight was full in C & Y and some people had apparently been brought forward from today’s SQ308 which I believe has been cancelled. There were empty seats in F so presumably no F passengers were moved or no one was willing to pay to move up if they were otherwise left behind.

I agree, places like ZRH, MUC and VIE have snow clearance off to perfection and we should have the same capability at LHR.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I imagine by 6pm tonight BAA will be ready, prepared and well versed in this years excuse why the airport couldn’t cope.

I am sure passenger safety will feature somewhere, but remember, aircraft are designed to work in snow and pilots trained to fly in snow. Everything else is down to the airport operators.

With the recent comment about passenger expectations regarding security and the 7.4 billion dollar cost attached to security, does anyone know the figure that BAA allocated to cover snow disruptions at Heathrow.

I tend to agree with – 05/02/2012 09:48 GMT – if the private sector cant cope, let the state buy it back.

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

I am usually quick to criticise incompetent leadership, especially in operations, this time though am of the opinion that BAA actually took the appropriate prudent action..

LHR has the most intensely used runways on the planet. It may well be the case “ZRH, MUC, VIE etc have clearance off to perfection” however I would also surmise that they have enough time between aircraft movements to do their job.

When operating within very short windows of time, doubling the amount of snowploughs would not halve the time taken to clear the runway.

With LHR having a movement every minute, the intense schedule may not allow the ploughs sufficient time to get in, do the necessary job, and out again, during snowfall. So it cleared 30% of the schedule to give the ploughs time to do their job between each movement. The 30% would have been short haul which are easier to reinstate when conditions improve or easier to provide alternatives.

Great you made it safely LPPS

Maybe overkill by BAA but prudent.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

……….and LHR has the highest charges, but prioritizes shopping trolleys instead of aircraft ops.

For the record, I am not criticizing the leadership, merely the fact that its winter, it snows and its not as if this result of nature hasn’t happened before. BAA should have been far better prepared.

Binman62
    Participant

2 inches of snow, a lack of planning, complete absence of interest and focus entirely on retail and maintaining a monopoly =

http://www.britishairways.com/rtad/travel/public/en_gb

Look at the sea of red which shows over 50% of the operation cancelled and it is just 2pm. Moreover the delays from early this morning are ridiculous.

From the info available looks like the entire BA short haul programme has been cancelled as those flights still showing as operating are code shares.

Now compare this with LGW, the single runway airport no longer controlled by BAA.

http://www.britishairways.com/rtad/travel/public/en_gb

Telling I think and further evidence that it is time to strip control of this vital communication link for the UK from BAA

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

My point was relevant when it is actually snowing. It hasn’t snowed in Surrey for at least 5 hours and no more is forecast in the short term. I agree it is now smacks of incompetence.

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

From 2 years ago…last bit of snow..

BAA plans £50m Heathrow investment to avoid snow chaos

Airports operator BAA has promised a £50m investment at Heathrow to avoid a repeat of December’s snow chaos.(2010)

It follows a report, commissioned by the company, which accused BAA of a breakdown in communication and lack of “preparedness” for the bad weather.

The report makes 14 recommendations, which focus on improving crisis management procedures and establishing a “snow plan” which sets out specific responsibilities for BAA, airlines, the regulator, and air traffic control.

Colin Matthews, chief executive, said: “If the entire Heathrow community learns from this report, and works more collaboratively to promote passengers’ interests, then this is a pivotal moment for the airport and its reputation.”

But Mr Matthews said that ensuring there was no repeat was not just about more investment, but also about setting the right “leadership tone”, he told the BBC.

….So wonder how many snow ploughs they bought for..50 million pounds and what happened to the leadership “tones”

…assume Bonises will of course ..still .be awarded…

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Who needs snowplows!!!

http://www.icax.co.uk/Solar_Runways.html

xx

ChrisBuda82
    Participant

They said on the news they spent 32mil not 50mil where did the rest go:S

ChrisBuda82
    Participant

BeckyBoop i herd they had some think this at the stands at LHR T5.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 105 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
July August 2021 cover
July August 2021 cover
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls