Heathrow to Gatwick

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• FaroFlyer
    Participant

It has been a few years since I made a transit between T5 and LGW so am seeking recommendations.

Who do you use? Reliability is more important than cost, as I have only 4 hours to clear passport and collect bags, but cost is still a consideration.

Thanks for any help, or guidance.

CheerUp
    Participant

We use Blacklane. On the more Premium side of things, but incredibly reliable.

1 user thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

A couple of months before Covid I had to use the transfer as our return to the UK was changed to LHR – we had flown out from LGW. The change was 100% not the fault of BA (was weather related).

My car was parked at LGW, so my wife took a taxi home and I took the official transfer bus as I was not under time constraint. Unfortunately, there was an accident on the M25 and the bus was completely stuck. My WAZE showed an alternative route (off the M25). I was sitting across the aisle from the driver and I told him what the delay was and that I could direct him through a different route.

He said he was not permitted to do that – which was almost certainly true, at least at that time. The journey took 2.5 hours.

For such a tight schedule, my recommendation is to avoid the bus transfer.

PS: I live in North London. As a completely off-topic side issue, I never travel to LGW if going by car for any flight leaving before 12 noon, because of the frequency of M25 accidents, causing massive delays to all the routes going into LGW. I stay in a hotel in the LGW area the night before.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Cheeryguy
    Participant

The Liz Line to Farringdon, then Thameslink to LGW. No steps, train change is simple with luggage and no risk of the traffic jams.

3 users thanked author for this post.

GivingupBA
    Participant

ASK1945 said, “I never travel to LGW if going by car for any flight leaving before 12 noon, because of the frequency of M25 accidents, causing massive delays to all the routes going into LGW. I stay in a hotel in the LGW area the night before.”

Very wise and I did this for decades in my travelling years – i.e. stay in a nice hotel near or at the airport (not just Gatwick) the night before a flight. What’s not to like? Complete avoidance of travel stress, a pleasant night in a hotel and leisurely breakfast or lunch, no rush at all on the day of a flight (which can be stressful enough anyway), catch up on work in the hotel if necessary (or just enjoy time off).

DavidSmith2
    Participant

It’s a more general recommendation, but for the last 9 years I have been using British Airport Transfers taxi service. My record shows they have done 66 trips for me and they have never let me down or even come close. Drivers almost all excellent and polite. They are basically a taxi service but one end of the journey has to be a UK airport. Prices are reasonable and you can pay online by card.

You get full details of the driver in advance, including a direct mobile number.

I have been very satisfied.

3 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1336133]PS: I live in North London. As a completely off-topic side issue, I never travel to LGW if going by car for any flight leaving before 12 noon, because of the frequency of M25 accidents, causing massive delays to all the routes going into LGW. I stay in a hotel in the LGW area the night before.[/quote]

I would never voluntarily travel to Gatwick by road, far preferring to go by rail, probably from the same Thames link station that you would use.

@FaroFlyer
    – my concern would be the timing of the baggage delivery in T5. At least though T5 is probably the easiest M25 access at LHR… With only 4 hours, which means 3 hours to get to Gatwick from landing, I would find a very reliable car service who knows back routes off the M25 in the event it’s needed.

Good look and let us know how it goes.

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

[postquote quote=1336135]

Now based in Theobalds Grove now find it easier to get to Heathrow on the TFL overground to Liverpool St and jump…or rather stroll onto the Lizzie Line .Much quicker than the Piccadilly line and since I have a Freedom Pass..covers both locations.

Regarding transit between Heathrow and Gatwick…dont suppose we will ever see the helicopter connection again..only took about 15 minutes.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1336148]I would never voluntarily travel to Gatwick by road, far preferring to go by rail, probably from the same Thames link station that you would use.[/quote]

Martyn

Yes, we have considered this previously to LGW, and our next one in six weeks’ time, but as I found out before I retired, when I was using the line daily, there are too many line and driver problems to consider this, especially with suitcases.

Our niece a year or so ago nearly missed a flight (with her family) for precisely this reason.

cwoodward
    Participant

I remember the days when it was possible to travel between the two airports by helicopter.
    Perhaps the early mid eighties ??

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Thanks to all who made suggestions about transfer from T5 to LGW. I have previously made this transfer, and vv, by National Express and private hire (BA Transfers – not BA) with no problem, but those occasions have been with carry on only. When I made this booking in June ’22, on BA in business with same ticket and PNR, it was reasonable to calculate 1 hour for bags, 1 hour in transfer car and arriving at LGW at 2PM, 2 hours before departure.

The prospect of strike action is what caused my concern so, last weekend, I called the UK BAEC Gold line (Portugal is closed at weekends) and asked about a re-route from LHR to LIS instead of LGW to FAO. I asked costs, and also if an involuntary re-route was possible. The lady said that I could change, but it would cost £352 / €400 as it would be re-costed and ticketed. Today I called the BAEC Portugal Gold line and asked the same question about a change or, even better, an involuntary re-route. The guy sounded sympathetic and expressed concern about passport control, claiming bags then transferring. After a further 15+ minutes on hold he came back and asked me to check my inbox. He had issued a new ticket with final leg LHR T5 > LIS instead of LGW > FAO. No charge! That is why I like BA.

To those who recalled transfers by helicopter, no I never experienced this but, several times in the late 70’s I added the JFK > EWR helicopter transfer, around the Statue of Liberty, for £10!! That trumps LHR > LGW 🙂

Thanks to all.

4 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@FaroFlyer – you managed a great result, a stress free trip for you.

However, I do find it odd that the same question to the same company brings a different answer depending in which country you speak to the Gold line.

A ticketing question – as the booking was on the same PNR, had you gone for the transfer, T5 to Gatwick and missed the connection for whatever reason, what would the position have been regarding a new flight?

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Hi Martyn, yes, a good result.

I think that the reason for 2 different answers is that the UK probably just re-costed for issuing a new ticket. There had been an involuntary change on the outbound which should have been FAO > LGW then next day LHR > GIG but BA cancelled the flight to GIG and put us on the following day’s flight. If it had originally been ticketed as that then the transfer would have been classed as a stopover (>24 hours) so airport taxes etc. would apply. As it had been involuntary they were not charged. The young lady said that the extra costs were airport charges. Sometimes you just know when you are not going to win, so I gave up and decided to try later, if I wanted the change. I guess that the Portuguese lad classed it as an involuntary re-route as it took him > 15 minutes to check and calculate, and presumably speak to a supervisor. The UK girl just looked at what the computer said.

As far as the position regarding missing the connecting flight, I guess that BA would look after us if the reason for missing the flight was the late arrival of the inbound, resulting in MCT becoming less than BA MCT LHR > LGW of 3 hours. If the reason for missing the connecting flight was delays at Immigration and / or baggage handling, and / or M25 delays then I suspect that BA could reasonably say that was out of their control. As fare is business class, and I am Gold, I think that Gatwick staff would put us on the following day flight, but that would be in Y as there is no C availability for 3 days.

Hence asking for reliable connection advice. A few years ago I had to wait 20 minutes for the driver to turn up, and that could have been the difference for this trip.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=1336176]I remember the days when it was possible to travel between the two airports by helicopter.
    Perhaps the early mid eighties ??

THANKS|[/quote]

Yes. It was operated by B.Cal. It was a service intended for connecting passengers.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[postquote quote=1336211]

I never took it but I remember it. In the late 1970s, the flight took 15 minutes and cost 12 pounds one way (equivalent to 88 pounds today).

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls