Heathrow raises £1Bn in debt in case of a hard Brex**it

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

Indeed, a reasonable question without the need for the political rant. Truth is we won’t know till March 29th the true effects. Remainers and Brexiteers will cling to their opinions no matter the strength of the argument from either side.

So to answer the question (and yes I do have business interests and investments in the UK) even if I don’t visit that often, is I’m making no contingency plans as like AlanOrton above I don’t believe for one moment all air traffic will stop.

Oh, and if anyone is interested, the reason I don’t visit the UK so often is I hate LHR, with LCY a close second, the pettiness of security and being questioned by HMRC and asked to justify why I’m carrying chf2,000, eur 2,000 and a £1,000 with the threat they will confiscate it. My business interests can all be carried out by phone and the only reason I come over now is to visit friends.

Charles-P
    Participant

[quote quote=877914]The bigger shame is Junker and his cronies did not take the opportunity to lead a reform/shake up of the EU[/quote]

Martyn – I have friends working at the EU headquarters and I can tell you that the UK decision has indeed caused enourmous shock within the organisation and has already prompted change there.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Charles-P
    Participant

[quote quote=877917]hate LHR, with LCY a close second, the pettiness of security[/quote]

Fully agree. My preferred route to the UK is now the Eurostar, Brussels to London in under two hours. Large comfortable seat, pleasant staff and reasonable food on board. In Business Premier the breakfast is pastries and breads plus a choice of a hot breakfast or cold meats, yoghurts and fruit all served by a smiling steward at the seat.

canucklad
    Participant

And Martyn, that’s sort of what I’m getting at …….It was In or Out, it wasn’t iI’ish or Out’ish

To Charles point about preparation, your spot on …….May has tried to please /placate everybody and in the process through her inept politicking has achieved exactly the opposite. She’s so focussed on internal short term Tory politics, she’s totally strengthened the hand of the EU negotiation team.

I fundamentally don’t understand how our top politicians(all colours) can be so absurdly stupid.

Putting to one side the hard/soft argument, before we invoked article 50, they should have agreed the position that we negotiate on the basis of “leaving with nothing, and giving nothing. Letting the other side know we’re preparing for a no deal before we even got into the nitty gritty of compromise and concession.
    It stupefies me that they started with the attitude of “we don’t want to lose “ stance.

Sending a 5 year old throwing a tantrum would have been more effective at resolving this mess .
    Worse, we’re in this mess because the EU technocrats are so belligerent in their arrogance and their political vision , they ignored David Cameron.
    To his credit, he was an astute politician and perfectly gauged the feeling of the silent majority in the UK. And I suspect that same discontented silent majority is wide spread throughout the rest of the EU.
    Blinded by their dogma, Junkers and Co now believe they are in a strong position because of May and her team .They continue to ignore that silent majority at their peril.

The saddest thing of all is that if the EU had reformed it’s protectionist ways(Franco-German centric) this would have allowed the Remain campaigners to positively sing the praises of all the great things the EU do for us all as citizens rather than put the fear of God into us as if we left.

2 users thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=877927]The saddest thing of all is that if the EU had reformed it’s protectionist ways(Franco-German centric) this would have allowed the Remain campaigners to positively sing the praises of all the great things the EU do for us all as citizens rather than put the fear of God into us as if we left.[/quote]

Well said, and to add, allowed us to deport terrorists and economic migrants quickly and easily without the European Court of Human Rights always ruling against us in such matters.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

[quote quote=877934]Well said, and to add, allowed us to deport terrorists and economic migrants quickly and easily without the European Court of Human Rights always ruling against us in such matters.[/quote]

This discussion had been about the process of leaving the EU and the impact on each of us of a potential cessation (for an indeterminate period) of flights into/out of the UK.

Instead (and it really should not be necessary for me to have to point this out):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_of_Europe
    https://www.theguardian.com/law/2014/oct/03/what-is-european-convention-on-human-rights-echr
    https://www.coe.int/en/web/portal

I think that there are, by now some established facts around this issue:

Fact 1: It is massively contentious and divisive, possibly the most such in several generations.
    Fact 2: The entire discussion has been hallmarked by mendacity, evasion, duplicity and wilful deception.
    Fact 3: The attempt to reduce an extraordinarily complex issue to a simple Yes/No question was farcical.
    Fact 4: The promoters of this rupture refused to put forward a plan, have no (coherent) plan and may never have a (coherent) plan.
    Fact 5: The promoters of this rupture (both of the official and unofficial Leave campaigns) have been found guilty of breaking electoral law, which, in itself, calls into question the propriety and legitimacy of the entire plebiscite.

And a rejoinder to Canucklad: politicians are NOT a separate genus. They are the same flesh and blood as you or I. They (mostly) inhabit the same world, and have the same interests, aptitudes, prejudices and lacunae as the rest of us. The principal difference is a preparedness to have themselves subject to detailed personal scrutiny, criticism and ridicule that most would run a mile to avoid.

We now appear to have reached a situation in which the best that many of us can hope for is either an appeal to optimism or that “common sense” should prevail. This is just about the most shocking indictment I can think of, which is why, as well as being the most hurtful experience of my life, it is also the most depressing.

christopheL
    Participant

canucklad wrote:
    The saddest thing of all is that if the EU had reformed it’s protectionist ways (Franco-German centric) this would have allowed the Remain campaigners to positively sing the praises of all the great things the EU do for us all as citizens rather than put the fear of God into us as if we left.

I’m afraid you are unable to understand (or more likely you don’t want to show that you know) that many people in EU (apart from UK) are very happy with Brexit especially among EU citizens and more likely within EU institutions (and what about USA !).

I’m also afraid it is now time for somme people to realize that the “I wan’t my money back” policy UK applied for so many years have made a lot of non UK people feel upset.

EU is not Commonwealth. The rules are not te same.

I feel really sad because UK citizens only start realizing it a few month before the D Day without having any doubt that all they did since 1973 for EU integration has been “superb”.

Charles-P
    Participant

Among many people on mainland Europe there is genuine astonishment at the UK’s decision to leave. As was said to me by a French politician earlier this year,
    “The British had the best deal of any country, their rebate, their special terms, their veto. I only wish France could have had that deal.”

Once the UK rejoins the EU in the future (and it will) it will never get that deal again.

Charles-P
    Participant

I am told I have today received a letter from the Belgian ‘Bestuur der Luchtvaart’which is their equivalent to the UK Civil Aviation Authority. It states that because of “uncertainty” regarding the status of UK issued flying licences after March 2019 it is “recommended” I consider transiting to a Belgian issued aviation licence. This will require me to take an exam on air law, on human performance and as yet unspecified “skill test”.

I wonder what happens if I say no ?

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls