Heathrow-Manchester behind the scenes

Back to Forum

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  nevereconomy 15 Nov 2019
at 11:31

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• pheighdough
    Participant

We all discuss on this forum delays to flights, airports and travel in general.
    I’ve just seen this https://www.nats.aero/discover/plane-talking/ interactive animation from NATS, the UK air traffic control service. I didn’t realise it was all so complex. This is rather good.

3 users thanked author for this post.

BPP
    Participant

I have just watched the first few minute of this – quite good but one question.
    When I did my PPL some years ago, Take Off was refered to as ‘ CLEARED TO DEPART (26)’ not cleared for take off. The response being (***Call Sign) – DEPARTING 26′ not ‘Taking Off’. Have we returned to the old language or is comercial flying different.
    I will watch the rest of this when time permits.
    BPP.

pheighdough
    Participant

BPP being a bit of a geek, it all refers to whether there is an ATC service or a FISO service in place. Commercial flying from an airport is different to GA flying from an airfield without full ATC

1 user thanked author for this post.
    BPP

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Fascinating, especially the stats..

Would be interested to learn similar stats for a longhaul flight. How many ATC/Pilot transmissions, average length etc etc… As for watching… err I dont think so.

Thanks for posting…

Pedro
    Participant

Hello BPP,

From memory from my time doing my PPL training and subsequent flying in the Channel Islands the only occasion that the words “take off” would be used in ATC communications was in the actual clearance to take off. All other instructions would use the word “departure” i.e. “after departure maintain runway heading until advised”. I think this protocol might have been introduced as part of the learnings after the Tenerife tragedy where ambiguity in the radio transmissions was a contributing factor to the accident.

P

BPP

nevereconomy
    Participant

If I remember correctly from the documentary, ceasing use of “takeoff” and replacing with “departure” was a result of the Tenerife disaster.

BPP
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller December 2019 / January 2020 edition
Business Traveller December 2019 / January 2020 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls