Heathrow ANPR cameras

Back to Forum

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  openfly 20 May 2019
at 07:27

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• speedbird1969
    Participant

Anyone who is a regular traveller through Heathrow will no doubt have seen the recently installed boxes that flash your speed up and tell you to slow down should you be a naughty driver. As of yesterday (1 May) these have been supplemented by new ANPR cameras which, in addition to keeping an eye out for the bad boys, will double up as average speed cameras. The cameras are small, yellow and mounted high up on lamp posts with a small warning sign attached. They are nigh on impossible to see in dark conditions. They are positioned roughly where the current warning boxes are. The cynical side of me had a thought that as most people going to an airport will be in a rush/running late that this is a tremendous revenue raising opportunity. I know others will say stick to the limit and you’ll be fine. Whatever your view, allow more time when getting to the airport!

2 users thanked author for this post.

GivingupBA
    Participant

Anyone who is a regular traveller through Heathrow will no doubt have seen the recently installed boxes that flash your speed up and tell you to slow down should you be a naughty driver….

Thanks for the warning, but could you please give a little more detail about where they’re installed? On approach roads to some or all Terminals? Thanks very much.

speedbird1969
    Participant

I use one side of the airport perimeter road and can confirm they go from Pod Parking at The Thistle hotel past terminal 5 to the Quarrentine roundabout before terminal 4 (up the long straight with the Esso garage), so I assume they carry on to Hatton Cross all the way round to complete the circle. There is one situated at the large roundabout for M25 and Stanwell as you exit Southern Perimeter Road.

2 users thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I wonder who gets the revenue that will be generated?

Adrian1978
    Participant

Are they just average speed cameras on the perimeter road by terminal 4 or are they fixed ?

speedbird1969
    Participant

Adrian1978 my journey doesn’t take me past T4 often but if it’s the same all the way round they are fixed mainly to lamp posts and ring the entire airport. As said, they are small and almost invisible in the dark. As a general rule the speed limit on single track roads is 30 and on dual carriageway 40. I haven’t personally heard of anyone who has been pinged yet.

Angerengineer
    Participant

I use the perimiter road regulary as part of my work. We received a correspondence from HAL landside, it was in my opinion, very misleading, deliberately.

It inferred it was from or at least twinned with the police and stated the new cameras were speed cameras, average speed cameras and ANPR cameras.

It also stated anyone triggering the cameras would be delt with under section 59 of the police rules. Section 59 is the part where police issue warning and confiscate vehicles from boy racers wheel spinning in car parks, parked up smoking drugs, wheelying on mopeds etc. (vehicle ASBO).

I have contacted Westcotec, the manufactures of the smart signs and installers of both the smart signs and the new cameras.

I have also contacted HAL airside. Neither have responded as yet. I contacted them both 2 weeks ago.

Some obsevations, average speed cameras in every other installation I have seen are installed one per lane and capture the rear of the vehicle (to include motorbikes). I believe fixed speed cameras need the white lines on the road to be legal.

For clarity I believe 40mph is the correct speed limit for the Southern perimiter road and 30mph the correct limit around terminal 5, the car parks and up to the motorway spur road. However from the spur road in an Easterly direction round to hatton cross should be (and most was until quite resently) a 40mph limit, not 30mph.

Police with portable speed radar guns have been operating around the perimiter road since the installation of the new cameras.

My conclusion is that the new “speed” cameras are neither average speed cameras or static speed cameras. I beleive they are purely ANPR cameras. It would appear many black cab drivers agree with my conclusion. However, as most people will not have come to this conclusion I believe the installation actually make the North Eastern section of the perimiter road more dangerous than it was without them, a ridiculous low speed limit with some ignoring it and some not, in cases I have already observed suddenly slowing down. Just for the record, I have no issue conforming to reasonable speed limits, driving along an empty duel carridge way at 6am with no parking, crossings, pedestrians, schools, houses or side turnings, other than ones controlled by traffic lights is pointless and very annoying.

openfly
    Participant

It’s amazing that the police can spend days catching easy prey….drivers, but won’t go out and catch burglars!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
May cover
May cover
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls