Heathrow 3rd runway

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=1086737]but why can’t RAF Northolt be used as an alternative? It was used before LHR was opened[/quote]

Flybe would have answered that question had it been around today.

In 2015 it was negotiating with the MoD to operate domestic flights from Northolt.

Davethepubsinger
    Participant

Thanks Giving up BA. Sorry not to have followed up before. City airport is less than 5000 ft. so Northolt could use similar aircraft as used there. I believe (though do not have figures to support this) that any infrastructure alterations to Northolt would cost less than the proposed third runway.

1 user thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

Whilst Northolt is next to a tube line and also next to the A40 dul carriageway road out of London, thus it does have some, but a very limited transport connectivity. However, to be a “third terminal” to LHR it would need a very fast, probably monorail/maglev lightrail link to LHR, to allow for transit traffic.

As “the crow flies” it’s 6 miles from LHR. That’s too far to be of much value, in my opinion.

However, I am opposed to the third runway at LHR (for environmental, costs and social reasons) – so maybe it’s an option that should be re-examined, limited to short haul, point to point or domestic flights only.

sally_b
    Participant

I agree with the OP but must admit I was a supporter of Boris island! Being in the East, I believe it would make some sense (so would a couple more bridges over the river for goodness sake) but the revitalisation of South End airport probably put pay to that idea.

RoyJones
    Participant

The fact that Northolt has a runway and a short one at that, however it is still an active military airfield. There is also a lot of close in housing and no space to upgrade the runway approaches to today’s commercial traffic standards. The runway exists but a public terminal, car parking, and realistic transport links would have to be constructed. There is no bus service along the A40 and the nearest tube is about 2 miles from the current Jet Centre. Transfer to Heathrow could be A40 and M25 both peak hour nightmares, allow at least 45 minutes.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls