Haze returns to Singapore

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Anyone planning a trip to Singapore must note that the haze has returned.

In fact it’s been affecting Singapore for a number of days already but today is especialy severe.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/haze-conditions/2147550.html?cid=twtcna

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/environment/haze-conditions-may-worsen-on-thursday-24-hour-psi-may-cross-into-very

icenspice
    Participant

LOL AMcW

When I read your title I thought you were referring to an airline or hotel chain I had never heard of!!

sparkyflier
    Participant

Ha Ha Icenspace.

I was there 2 weeks ago and it was not pleasant – feel for the people living here.

Simon01
    Participant

Am in Singapore at the moment and yes very unpleasant the locals
    seem to be struggling with the haze, and noticed the shopping area
    of Orchard Rd seem fairly quite.

superchris
    Participant

Are Volkswagens popular in Singapore…..

AMcWhirter
    Participant

ccCookie
    Participant

I was in Singapore Sept 21st – Sept 26th this year. I walked out of the hotel the first morning and thought that there was a fire in the nearby area. The doorman said that it was the smoke from Sumatra (630 km away, by the way.) These fires are set by farmers, apparently.

Also, he said that it happens EVERY year. Indeed, upon recently reading the Straits Times … they have photos from about 1972 comparing the haze from then to now. I guess that it was particularly bad this year … schools were closed on at least one day.

It is the first I have experienced of this in my many travels to Singapore. Rule of thumb apparently … after the F1 race, Singapore is under a cloud of smoke for a month or so.

There was a day or two on my trip when it was not so bad, owing to the direction of the wind.

And so … have you paid more for your things today? Higher prices owing to ‘cap and trade’ or other carbon pricing taxation schemes?

Starts to seem hopeless …

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls