Have you got an ESTA?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

So asked the BA check in agent at MAN.

‘No’, I replied, drawing a frown from him.

‘Then have you a visa?’

‘No’, I said, thinking go on, deny me boarding, I pass Go, draw 600€ and will still have time to catch a later flight.

Sadly, his colleague pointed out that neither of these are requirements to travel to the UAE and I got my boarding pass 🙁

capetonianm
    Participant

A bout 4 years ago I travelled to CPT with my o/h, me on a ZA passport and she on a Spanish one. We were both asked if we had visas. I said no, I don’t need a visa to travel to the country of my passport nationality, and that EU citizens don’t need a visa for South Africa, at which she told us that Spain is not EU.
    I can’t be bothered recounting the rest of the conversation!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’ve had similar Capetonian on more than one occasion when they didn’t want to let me check in for JNB as Switzerland was not part of the EU! True but we are part of Schengen but it took a supervisor to OK the check-in.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=805072]So asked the BA check in agent at MAN.

‘Then have you a visa?’

‘No’, I said, thinking go on, deny me boarding, I pass Go, draw 600€ and will still have time to catch a later flight.

Sadly, his colleague pointed out that neither of these are requirements to travel to the UAE and I got my boarding pass ?

[/quote]

According to a thread on FT yesterday there was a similar case at LGW where the staff didn’t know the rules and someone would have been denied boarding if they had not challenged it. The resident BA fan of course summarised it as “one of those things” which I thought was pretty unsatisfactory.

Of course it is frowned on by the clique to say bad things about BA and its friends, sure enough I got the email today to say they had once again been reviewing my posting history.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=805139]

So asked the BA check in agent at MAN.

‘Then have you a visa?’

Sadly, his colleague pointed out that neither of these are requirements to travel to the UAE and I got my boarding pass ?

According to a thread on FT yesterday there was a similar case at LGW where the staff didn’t know the rules and someone would have been denied boarding if they had not challenged it. The resident BA fan of course summarised it as “one of those things” which I thought was pretty unsatisfactory.

Of course it is frowned on by the clique to say bad things about BA and its friends, sure enough I got the email today to say they had once again been reviewing my posting history.

[/quote]

Flyertalk is just silly at times, which is why I don’t bother engaging there. Some of the stuff is very amusing, though, particularly entitlement levels that suggest a good deal of mental instability 😉

Ekond222
    Participant

…FDOS interesting conundrum – I believe BAs’ check-in agent at Manchester airport is actually Menzies (could have changed since I was there) ergo if you had been denied boarding by an error incurred by Menzies…would Menzies be liable for any financial compensation due?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=805321]…FDOS interesting conundrum – I believe BAs’ check-in agent at Manchester airport is actually Menzies (could have changed since I was there) ergo if you had been denied boarding by an error incurred by Menzies…would Menzies be liable for any financial compensation due?

[/quote]

No, the operating airline (BA) would have.

Ekond222
    Participant

…That was my 1st thought..but the operating Airline did not make the error – The check-in agent would be at fault – I certainly see the operating airline processing the claim…

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Ekond

The regulation is crystal clear, the carrier is liable:

Article 1
    Subject
    1. This Regulation establishes, under the conditions specified herein, minimum rights for passengers when:
    (a) they are denied boarding against their will;

Article 2
    Definitions
    For the purposes of this Regulation:
    (a) “air carrier” means an air transport undertaking with a valid operating licence;
    (b) “operating air carrier” means an air carrier that performs or intends to perform a flight under a contractwith a passenger or on behalf of another person, legal or natural, having a contract with that passenger;
    (c) “Community carrier” means an air carrierwith a valid operating licence granted by a Member State inaccordance with the provisions of Council Regulation (EEC) No 2407/92 of 23 July 1992 on licensing of aircarriers(5);

(j) “denied boarding” means a refusal to carry passengers on a flight, although they have presented themselves for boarding under the conditions laid down in Article 3(2), except where there are reasonable grounds todeny them boarding, such as reasons of health, safety or security, or inadequate travel documentation;

Article 3

Scope
    1. This Regulation shall apply:
    (a) to passengers departing from an airport located in the territory of a Member State to which the Treatyapplies;

2. Paragraph 1 shall apply on the condition that passengers:
    (a) have a confirmed reservation on the flight concerned and, except in the case of cancellation referred to in Article 5, present themselves for check-in, as stipulated and at the time indicated in advance and in writing (including by electronic means) by the aircarrier, the tour operator or an authorised travel agent

Article 4
    Denied boarding

3. If boarding is denied to passengers against their will, the operating air carrier shall immediately compensate them in accordance with Article 7 and assist them in accordance with Articles 8 and 9.

Article 7
    Right to compensation
    1. Where reference is made to this Article,passengers shall receive compensation amounting to:

(c) EUR 600 for all flights not falling under (a) or (b).
    In determining the distance, the basis shall be the last destination at which the denial of boarding orcancellation will delay the passenger’s arrival after the scheduled time.

2. When passengers are offered re-routing to their final destination on an alternative flight pursuant to Article8, the arrival time of which does not exceed the scheduled arrival time of the flight originally booked

3. The compensation referred to in paragraph 1 shall be paid in cash, by electronic bank transfer, bank ordersor bank cheques or, with the signed agreement of the passenger, in travel vouchers and/or other services.

(c) by four hours, in respect of all flights not falling under (a) or (b),
    the operating air carrier may reduce the compensation provided for in paragraph 1 by 50 %.

4. The distances given in paragraphs 1 and 2 shall be measured by the great circle route method.

Article 8
    Right to reimbursement or re-routing
    1. Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall be offered the choice between:
    (a)-reimbursement within seven days, by the means provided for in Article 7(3), of the full cost of the ticket atthe price at which it was bought, for the part or parts of the journey not made, and for the part or partsalready made if theflight is no longer serving any purpose in relation to the passenger’s original travel plan,together with, when relevant,
    -a return flight to the first point of departure, at the earliest opportunity;
    (b) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at the earliest opportunity;

Article 9
    Right to care
    1. Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall be offered free of charge:
    (a) meals and refreshments in a reasonable relation to the waiting time;
    (b) hotel accommodation in cases
    -where a stay of one or more nights becomes necessary, or
    -where a stay additional to that intended by the passenger becomes necessary;
    (c) transport between the airport and place of accommodation (hotel or other).
    2. In addition, passengers shall be offered free of charge two telephone calls, telex or fax messages, or e-mails.

Ekond222
    Participant

…Thank you google…I mean FDOS….

stevescoots
    Participant

I was denied Boarding to CAN at LHR a few years ago on QR. My china Visa was in my old full passport but check in insisted the Visa must be in the passport I am using to fly on, my new one. No matter of explaining would get me a boarding pass. However after speaking with a supervisor they switched me to HKG instead which was actually better for. I will soon be coming up with teh same situation having just renewed my resident visa and looking at getting a new passport in about 4 months

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=805355]…Thank you google…I mean FDOS….

[/quote]

Not Google, just extracts from the EC261 PDF on my laptop – it’s good to know your rights and have a transcript to back you up.

Otherwise, you may be uncertain (as you were) and that would not get you very far with the airline in full denial mode.

Ekond222
    Participant

…All I was querying who was at fault (certainly Menzies being the check-in agent, which for some reason you omitted) but the claim would be processed by the carrier for which I agreed with you…did you follow this anomaly with the carrier?…

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=805541]…All I was querying who was at fault (certainly Menzies being the check-in agent, which for some reason you omitted) but the claim would be processed by the carrier for which I agreed with you…did you follow this anomaly with the carrier?…

[/quote]

You are going down an irrelevant rabbit hole, which is why I ‘omitted’ Menzies – I didn’t actually omit anything material, it just appears that you do not understand that.

If boarding is denied to passengers against their will, the operating air carrier shall immediately compensate them in accordance with Article 7 and assist them in accordance with Articles 8 and 9.

There is nothing to stop BA recovering their losses from Menzies, the reg states

Article 13

Right of redress

In cases where an operating air carrier pays compensation or meets the other obligations incumbent on itunder this Regulation, no provision of this Regulation may be interpreted as restricting its right to seekcompensation from any person, including third parties, in accordance with the law applicable. In particular,this Regulation shall in no way restrict the operating air carrier’s right to seek reimbursement from a touroperator or another person with whom the operating air carrier has a contract. Similarly, no provision of thisRegulation may be interpreted as restricting the right of a tour operator or a third party, other than apassenger, with whom an operating air carrier has a contract, to seek reimbursement or compensation from the operating air carrier in accordance with applicable relevant laws.

Ekond222
    Participant

..Sincere apologies, as this was not the intention for invoking such an aggressive response…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls