Has BA killed the Amsterdam dodge?

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• TiredOldHack2
    Participant

I ask because I was looking at booking a flight to DUR or JNB in September next year, starting in AMS, and was getting the usual decent prices. Like, for CW flights plus 10 days’ car hire, around EUR2000-2100.

All of a sudden the prices for flight only are around EUR1550 each way, similar with the car hire.

I was wondering if this is BA just ‘flying a kite’ for a while and the prices will soften, or whether they’ve genuinely decided to end the availability of cheaper premium fares if you start outside the UK. I tried starting in CDG and BRU as well – same thing.

Any ideas?

openfly
    Participant

About 6 to 8 months before travel the fares soften.

Edski777
    Participant

The price hike is most likely due to the demand on the SA route. I can’t imagine that it is due to AMS – LHR v.v. traffic. There is too much capacity and competition there.
    Maybe it is time to have a look at some of the competitors as well. There might be some good deals via AMS, FRA, CDG or IST.

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

[quote quote=976721]There might be some good deals via AMS, FRA, CDG or IST.[/quote]

See above. I tried elsewhere: no difference.

EDIT: Interestingly, though, iberia flights from MAD via LHR to JNB are reasonably priced. Looking again at the BA site, I get the feeling that they’ve just populated the timetable with fares while they work out more exact pricing.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=976744]EDIT: Interestingly, though, iberia flights from MAD via LHR to JNB are reasonably priced.[/quote]

And only price stressed Spaniards would opt for this routing. Why fly in the exact opposite direction to save a few Euro’s

Out of curiosity TOH2 , how big was the saving to travel due north ?

Probably a good thing Greta doesn’t know about this, she’d probably jump in her solar powered Noddy Car and invade the runway at Barajas before I finish typing this sentence

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

[quote quote=976746]Why fly in the exact opposite direction to save a few Euro’s

Out of curiosity TOH2 , how big was the saving to travel due north ?[/quote]

About £1900 return from MAD on flights code shared with BA, compared with about £4000 starting from LHR. Party of four, so that’s a big, big saving. “A few euros” it ain’t.

Edski777
    Participant

I meant flying the competition out of AMS, FRA, CDG, IST and other options. If an airline increases its fares by 50% I would think its time to look elsewhere.
    Loyalty is good, but eventually it comes down to a reasonable and acceptable price.

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

I’ve had a look, yes. EgyptAir is as cheap as chips but I’m not sure about them at all, and I’d rather fly OneWorld for the TPs. SAA is cheap, too, but not OneWorld.

Qatar isn’t bad but I would rather do the long haul in one 12-hour hit rather than break it up into two six-hour (or thereabouts) segments. Sounds silly but the MAD-JNB trip on Iberia looks the best option, and we can build a night or two in Madrid into the schedule.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I have noticed over the last 9 months, ex-AMS prices have increased. Like TOH, I consider the savings a lot more than a few Euros. However, I am now used to this routing and more importantly, my travel costs are still less than they were when I was flying to HKG and BKK directly from LHR.

I don’t think BA will kill the dodge – it still fills the aircraft

SBingham
    Participant

Have you checked from Inverness?

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=976757]“A few euros” it ain’t.[/quote]

It is an impressive saving, and Madrid does have fond memories for me : )
    Would mean I could afford steak rather than chuck meat too !!

Mikeact
    Participant

Exactly, and also look at the huge difference for an Avios redemption compared to London.

MarcusGB
    Participant

I have also found a real hike in prices in the last 6 months ex AMS, even with KLM.
    Many of their fares are 20-30% increased for Business Class long haul, whilst last year you could travel anywhere BC on their networks Worldwide for less than Euros 1,999.
    This is apparently down to fuel increases, but a major change in direction of AF/KLM to raise revenue, and restore Dividends to shareholders, made public a few days ago.
    European and Med / Long haul prices remain unchanged generally in Economy, it is their WBC that has increased.
    Eg a return fare with Air France booked in March 2019, travel in June WBC LHR-CDG-BKK return was £1,650. recently it is £1,999.
    Kuala Lumpur is into the £2,200+ and Singapore £1,999. Some Latin American or Taiwan fares are as high as Euros 2,599 These are all base Z class Business fares too!
    Fares are more ex KLM from AMS.

Perhaps we also need to take into account the falling sterling values, if converting these fares.

Also of note, they are now stating clearly on a booking, that ALL SECTORS MUST BE TAKEN.
    They then list charges that will be made against the card if the last sector is not taken, ranging from Euros 250 in Economy, to 2,500 for a First.

I know some BT members took BA flying out to start a long haul trip similar to the referred to issue here, but did not make the last sector back to AMS.
    KLM and AF have now put a stop to that, and are imposing this, clearly stated prior to you agreeing to your booking.

So those days, of missing a sector, or using Euros for a cheaper fare, also avoiding the UK Departure taxes, now make little difference!
    However, i still find KLM fares Ex UK worldwide, less expensive than BA or many other major carriers.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls