Has anyone made an EU261 claim with Ryanair?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)

• ABDULb
    Participant

Victor77, the online form work for you? Still struggling to get my name matched

JBrowne
    Participant

Attempted to make a claim for FR3952 31 October 2019 (3+ hours late) from Manchester to Lisbon via the Ryanair website, which repeatedly failed to submit.

Was ready to give up but then found Resolver: .
    Got a response within the hour from Ryanair and 400 euros in my account a week later. No fees charged. Paying it forward here as this is where I ended up in my search.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

For anyone willing to take a punt on EU261 compensation, for flights cancelled within 14 days, Ryanair are still selling flights for Friday 8 May, just 15 days away. They will be unable to claim the cancellation is out of their control.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=996564][/postquote]

Waste of time. They will in turn argue that anyone booking would have known there was a risk of cancellation due to Covid. If it is cancelled you won’t get any compensation without a huge battle and will also waste time getting your money back as they will go through the ‘voucher’ process. In a worst case you might end up losing your money and/or stranded somewhere.

2 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

For anyone willing to take a punt on EU261 compensation, for flights cancelled within 14 days, Ryanair are still selling flights for Friday 8 May, just 15 days away. They will be unable to claim the cancellation is out of their control.

Isn’t this somewhat unfair, borderline dishonest? I know it’s Ryanair but two wrongs don’t make a right.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[postquote quote=996584][/postquote]

Hi Capetonian,
    I am not sure how it is dishonest of the buyer. I think it could be claimed that Ryanair are being dishonest in taking money for flights to Spain on 8 May when Spain have publicly stated that their lock-down is until at least 9 May. One could argue that Ryanair are trying to turn cash into vouchers.

ASK1945
    Participant

[postquote quote=996588][/postquote]

Ryanair could argue that it’s a case of “Buyer beware”. Dishonesty does not come into the equation.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Hi ASK1945,

If it really is Caveat emptor why is there EU 261? Surely the case that I outlined is Caveat venditor.

I wholly agree that dishonesty does not come in to the equation. Who has never taken advantage of a pricing error, and made a purchase? I seem to recall that this has happened with airlines almost giving away 1st class fares.

capetonianm
    Participant

Just to reiterate, perhaps dishonest is too strong, but to deliberately set out to make a 261 claim, when you would be doing so purely to make a profit, since you would have incurred no loss, seems unfair.

Richard Branson, who expects the UK fiscus, to which he has contributed very little in proportion to his wealth and income, to bail out his airline. I see it as the same sort of taking advantage. However we all have our own morality, and as I said, it is Ryanair who are not exactly as pure as virgin snow!

Who has never taken advantage of a pricing error, and made a purchase?

No, the opportunity has never presented itself!

philsquares
    Participant

You might want to take a look at an EU “clarification” regarding canceled flights. On 18 March the EU issued their clarification of extraordinary events. The EU ruled that airlines would be exempt from having to pay penalties for canceling flights inside 14 days. However, the airlines were still required to comply with EU261 with respect to flight cancellations. That would be the airlines HAVE to offer a full refund. However, they may offer a voucher for future travel if the customer agrees. Otherwise, they must refund the purchase price.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=996695][/postquote]

It doesn’t say airlines are exempt, it simply clarifies the circumstances connected to Covid 19 considered as exceptional and where cash compensation does not apply if cancelled inside 14 days. Such as protection of crew, airports closed, passengers banned from travel etc.

Otherwise all provisions of EC261 apply including right to care and compensation. So if your flight was delayed due to mechanical issues (for example took off and returned due to engine failure) compensation would still apply.

philsquares
    Participant

[postquote quote=996710][/postquote]

You might want to go back and re-read what I posted. I specifically stated “the airlines were still required to comply with EU261 with respect to flight cancellations”. If you read the document you will find the EU still requires the airlines to comply with the Right To Care obligations. The EU has relieved the airlines of having to pay compensation for late cancellation ONLY.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=996776]You might want to go back and re-read what I posted. I specifically stated “the airlines were still required to comply with EU261 with respect to flight cancellations”. If you read the document you will find the EU still requires the airlines to comply with the Right To Care obligations. The EU has relieved the airlines of having to pay compensation for late cancellation ONLY.[/quote]

They haven’t relieved anything. Under clause 5 (3) of EC261 there never has been a requirement to pay compensation for late cancellation where extraordinary circumstances are involved. The law hasn’t changed at all….all the EU has done is given guidance that clarifies the aspects of Covid 19 that are exceptional.

Nothing has changed legally, and compensation is still payable for late cancellation for non exceptional reasons.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

SimonS1,

Thanks. You stated “Nothing has changed legally, and compensation is still payable for late cancellation for non exceptional reasons.”

Ryanair are still selling flights to Spain for 8 May. They could hardly claim exceptional reasons when it is public knowledge that Spain is on lock-down at least until 10 May, and most likely much longer.

Your average weekend tourist could reasonably argue that if Ryanair are selling flights for 8 May then it must be OK to buy. They offer multiple flights to ALC from 15 different UK airports.

A cynic might think that this is just a way to sell vouchers.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=996785][/postquote]

Indeed, I dont disagree. However as I said before you know what will happen, they will blame coronavirus and you will have a long saga even to get your money back.

As far as compensation is concerned, well you may in principle have grounds for compensation but would need to demonstrate why the cancellation reason was not exceptional. Good luck with that.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls