Happy 50th anniversary, Queen of the Sky

Back to Forum
Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)

• TominScotland
    Participant

It is a couple of years since I last was on a 747 – LHR to DXB, I think. I have just realised that I am booked again in April, to RUH. Looking forward to it.

My first Jumbo flight was in the early 1980s on an EI 747-100 from Dublin to JFK with the (then) compulsory stopover in Shannon, home to the only Lada Accessories Bar in the West, to meet the needs of the large number of Russian transit passengers at the time.

Since then I have been lucky enough to fly the big bird with a variety of carriers – in no particular order, GA, MH, SQ, TG, QF, KJ, AI, CI, BR, CA, IR, SA, BA, AF, KL, LH, SR, VS, AZ, CO, NW, UA, BN, AC, DL

Standout experiences? One of SQ’s first flights with their 747-400 Megatop in May 1989 from Kai Tak to Changi – the excitement!! Watching her land and stop just short of the end of the runway from the terminal building was fabulous. Flying home from my first assignment in Asia, in (then) Bombay and waiting for the notoriously unreliable AZ 747-100 to make it up from Melbourne, maybe 6 hours late. A KLM routing that was rather like the No 11 stopping service to Singapore. My memory is fuzzy but I seem to remember stopping in Dubai, Bombay, Bangkok and KL but that might be an exaggeration.

I loved the SP and flew her with SA, QF and IR.

Disappointment I need to rectify? I have never flown the 747-800 – I blame British Midland for this as I was wedded to Star until their demise and would, no doubt, have routed with LH at some point to fly this aircraft. Maybe I still will….

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls