Guilty Until Proven Innocent at Delta

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

• SwissExPat
    Participant

What I like about BA is that you only need to show your boarding card at the entrance to the lounge. I often don’t have my gold card with me.

So with Swiss, they demand both card and boarding pass. So if I don’t have the ff card, I would not be allowed in. This is indeed stupid and thankfully has not happened (yet). They can see my status on the boarding card. Even if someone else had my ff card, it would not match their boarding card.

Again it is the inconsistency that is the issue.

That BA can do without ff cards at lounges simply shows that others are just being pedantic.

This is another reason I never fly swiss on the zrh to Lon route where BA offer a better service on so many levels.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Remember BA also used to ask passenger to produce relevant coloured card for lounge access up until a year or so ago. Bottom line, it’s like being asked to produce a boarding card by WH Smiths. Inconvenient but not really the end of the day!

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Hi SXP

Is that true about Swiss needing to have your card with you. That I find almost stunning especially considering how long it takes for some airlines to send out cards. Surely if they know you have say Gold Status then why need to produce the physical card. I can understand being asked for ID but when they already know your status, why make someone go to the hassle of producing a card. I find that quite poor – IMHO.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ SwissExPat – 10/10/2013 11:08 GMT

I am at a slight loss to understand the issue but that may just be down to the fact that I get out less than others and tend to travel, for sundry reasons, mainly on BA.

The latter prints your current BAEC membership number and tier status on your boarding card. There is no need to present any plastic because all the information is there either in black and white or on the screen of your iPhone etc. This is an IT issue as much as anything and I am somewhat taken aback that DL cannot manage this when, courtesy of the Department of Homeland Security/the TSA et al, US carriers already retain a considerable amount of information about their passengers/clients/customers.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

There are three main approaches, in my experience, to gaining lounge entry

1 – BP only, BA being a recent convert to this
    2 – BP and FF card, Swiss, LH (and BA until recently)
    3 – Lounge invite

I just carry my cards with me (small card holder in my case) and give ’em what they want.

Senator
    Participant

I think the issue with Swiss and Miles & More is that you don’t keep your membership number as you move up and down the hierarchy. Now, I’ve had the same number for 13 years since I cleared Senator level, but I am not sure how their database matches numbers and names dynamically. In this case, you could theoretically assuming no dynamic check to database, “fool” the system by entering an expired number. Then you deal with retro-claim later for your miles.

SAS EuroBonus has some of the same issues: your membership number is nine digits with a prefix:
    EBB – Basic
    EBS – Silver
    EBG – Gold
    EBP – Pandion

Hence, a SAS member with an expired EBG level could walk into a Swiss lounge having manually entered EBG 123456789 into the system.

I thought all of this was rather unnecessary until I saw the box of cards in Zurich. As long as we try to cheat so blatantly, we may be asked for an additional check.

1nfrequent
    Participant

rjblackjr0 – if you think being asked to show your ID again is insulting, then you really don’t know what an insult is.

Ultimately I don’t see why it’s a big deal but if you feel that strongly about it, take your business elsewhere.

1F

Chardie
    Participant

I’m with rjblackjr0 on this one and I’d take my custom elsewhere and let Delta know why.

Edski777
    Participant

The claim by RJBlack to be allowed entry without showing a photo ID may sound fair, but isn’t. The whole security system, whether on an airport or elsewhere, is based on the fact that we suffer from the fact that a certain percentage of people can’t be trusted.
    Some people will try to gain access to facilities that they are not entitled to. So the Delta people are instructed to check a photo ID. The same thing happens when boarding commences. I have never witnessed anybody making a problem out of that. We all simply comply.
    The request to show your passport along with your boarding pass or membership card is fair, it doesn’t break any rules and stops people who don’t belong there. It’s how the world works nowadays.
    Get real and learn to live with it!

toonfan62
    Participant

I guess we all make purchase decisions based on what matters to us. Showing my ID on entering a Sky Club is neither here nor there to me. The hard product on DL, AA and UA domestic is all pretty much the same so it’s about schedule and front line personnel be it on board, in the airport or in the air and in that respect (DTW excepted) DL win every time in my opinion!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

A while ago on being asked for my Swiss Senator card, which I did not have on me as previously status was on the boarding card so I’d been told it was no longer necessary to show. I was let in but asked if it was a LX or LH issued card so they knew where to bill the fee too.

On my most recent trip I’d accidently left it at home and when asked for it I told the hostess adding it was a Swiss issued card. She told me that was not the issue, but as Senator said, many people using expired cards and trying to gain entry. She told me they confiscate on average 50 cards a day.

She let me in anyway believing me and I think she may have recognised me from an earlier trip but I’ve never been asked for my ID card. If asked I don’t think I’d make a fuss since it seems everyone nowadays need to see ID or needs a copy of a passport for money laundering purposes. The civil rights bit in me protests but you can’t buck the system so not worth trying to be a martyr.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls