guide to the sensible traveller

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

ellen67
    Participant

Check the weather forecast for your origin and destination. If there is a hint of snow or fog consider rescheduling your meeting.

Ask yourself: “is this meeting important enough to risk being stuck at an airport sleeping under tin foil for 3 days?” If the answer is yes – go ahead. If the answer is no, then consider rescheduling. It is better to be safe than sorry.

If you find yourself at an airport with flights cancelled due to adverse weather and you managed to get a room – book it for 2 or 3 nights. You can always cancel the room and in most cases the hotel will waive the cancellation charges.

If you are travelling with a colleague of the same sex – do not demand a single room for each but share a twin so that someone else doesn’t have to sleep on the airport floor. Now is not the time to worry about your snoring.

If flights are cancelled and you haven’t left your home country – go home and get a refund so that the seats on the flights that are taking off go to those who are trying to make their way home.

If you have an important meeting – consider travelling the evening before to your destination so you arrive at your meeting relaxed and well rested.

Always allow sufficient time to get to the airport – better to arrive early and have a nice cup of coffee than having to rush through the airport and arrive all sweaty.
    Don’t forget the queues at passport control and security.

Make sure you have a flexible ticket if your meeting is likely to run late. If you have a ticket with a fee to change you need to contact your agency at least 2 hours before departure of your flight to do the change and the change fee and possible upgrade can add up to more than a fully flexible ticket.

Always have your booking reference ready.

Always check your itinerary for errors immediately as all errors can be rectified free of charge on the same day. If your itinerary was sent to you but you did not check it then any errors are your own responsibility.

Don’t expect your travel agency to have all the latest flight information. We rely on the internet just like everyone else. Check the airline and airport website before you pick up the phone.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Tautological cr*p for a business travel site.

Try re-posting on a more appropriate forum.

ellen67
    Participant

Unfortunately the business travellers I speak to on a day by day basis need this guide. They never have their references ready, don’t read their itineraries and are completely lost without their secretaries.

I think this guide is very useful for a site like this.

And if you use the word Cr*p over the phone with me you are disconnected immediately so try and use some business like language yourself please.

NTarrant
    Participant

Not all business travellers have secretaries or ones that make their travel arrangements for them. Whilst some of your advise is common sense, i’m afraid that if someone told me to share a room with a colleague so someone didn’t have to sleep on a terminal floor, the second work would be off!

Other parts of your advise are in advisable, such as booking a hotel for two or three nights, what if they don’t give you your money back? Who foots that bill?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Disgusted – why do you insist attcking every post made. Perhaps it is you who needs to post elsewhere. I noticed you removed one of your earlier posts having a go at me.

Behave yourself, its the season of goodwill.

Ellen 67, nice post.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Ellen67

Let me give you some business oriented langauage, then.

Much of your ‘advice’ is patronising for people who visit here regularly and often sort out their own problems at oh dark o’clock when the office and travel agents are shut, some is based on unestablished assumptions which may or may not pertain to the situation in hand and some plain dangerous, such as sharing a hotel room. Think this one through, in today’s litigious/human rights driven times and you will figure out why.

As to the weather forecast tip, I had to re-read that twice. Weather forecasts are only considered highly accurate a short time in advance, typically 8 hours or less – do you recommend canceling meetings at such short notice?

craigwatson
    Participant

Actually Disgusted if you re-read her post you will see she is a travel agent, which makes her posting even worse in my opinion

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Craig

I had read it a different way, but can see that you are right and I agree with your conclusion.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls