Guest takes Hong Kong hotel to court

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Craig Bright

A curious read from the Hong Kong Judiciary’s website regarding a case brought forth concerning a complaint against a Hong Kong hotel.

Apparently the list of complaints “ran to over 30 pages in the writ” with the plaintiff claiming poor service and faulty items caused “pain and suffering”. The subsequent list of afflictions is particularly gripping.

http://legalref.judiciary.gov.hk/lrs/common/ju/ju_frame.jsp?DIS=107833&currpage=T

ichtop1%
    Participant

I’m surprised she survived! I may have had to take an half hour out for a coffee to fully recover.

canucklad
    Participant

I’m led to believe that Steven Spielberg was thinking about turning her stay into a blockbuster thriller musical called LA LA land, but was beaten to the title.

I wonder what the outcome would have been if Lucy had experienced her traumatic 6 month stay at a US establishment and had brought her legal writ in an American court.

Thank goodness our HK judge pretty much sent her packing and this phrase is by the far the best……..

“More importantly, although the plaintiff may have exhausted all English vocabulary describing negative feelings, none amount to show that she has suffered from any medically recognised illness or injury that was caused by such incidents.”

Maybe, the movie should simply be called……. Sulk Fiction

Ahmad
    Participant

We live in interesting times as the Chinese say …

Bringing an action of this sort is bad enough, but seeking summary judgement is downright barmy. No wonder the Judge was cross and threw the book at her.

simeoncox
    Participant

That’s a lot of paper airplanes…

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Sulk Fiction ! – I’ve not heard that before. Brilliant.

donkeyasia
    Participant

Just a thought. As the result of sterling legal work, should the film be renamed ‘SILK FICTION?

travelworld
    Participant

Nice to see that the hotel, rather than paying her something in damages to make her go away, actually stuck it out- and the court saw her for what she really was. Although litigation is expensive, sometimes you just have to defend a ridiculous claim.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls