Qatar Airways’ Growing stake in IAG

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

• wowzimmer
    Participant

I’m fairly sure that whenever I read about Qatar Airways increasing it’s stake in IAG there is normally a quote from Akbar Al Baker saying (and I’m paraphrasing a lot here) “I’m more than happy with the stake we now hold and I have no plans to raise our stake any further”.

And yet, the stake continues to rise. Today, news emerges that Qatar Airways now holds a 20% stake in IAG.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-qatar-airways-iag-idUKKCN10C1IG?utm_source=applenews

Will we now see Qatar Airways pushing for representation on the board? And could this signal changes to the way the IAG airlines are run?

MrMichael
    Participant

Qatari’s are pretty canny investors. They see an iconic British asset that is well run, excellent value for shareholders, spends what it needs to spend to protect its market share (and no more) & has a CX in WW that sees the value in takeovers of other Airlines in slightly different markets and thus spreading its risk exposure. Operating three flag carriers clearly is an attractive proposition, particularly now with the slump in share price due to Brexit. Regarding a board place, they are clearly entitled and I would imagine a nominee board member will be appointed in the coming months. Is it a pre-cursor to a takeover? Unless the board are kern and see value in it, no. I cannot see a hostile takeover.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Wouldn’t QR be allowed to own no more than 49.9% of IAG due to EU rules on foreign ownership?

1 user thanked author for this post.

transtraxman
    Participant

Take note that Qatar now has 20.1% of IAG.
    This has to be added to the 49% it has taken of the Italian airline Meridiana and the South American giant LATAM at 10%. Both these latter were announced in late July.
    To which should be added……
    the long standing interest in taking a large stake in Royal Air Maroc,
    the codeshares with BA franchisee Comair in South Africa,
    the newly announced codeshares with a Malaysian airline,

….all seem to indicate Qatar´s impatience with oneworld and its lack of “solidarity”. Both Qantas and MAS codeshare with Emirates not Qatar. Cathay Pacific does its own thing and is not interested in anybody. So Qatar is doing the same as Etihad but with much more meaningful associates. However, what will be the future for those associates??.

JohnHarper
    Participant

Actually Cathay have a very strong relationship with Finnair and pass a lot of connecting traffic through Helsinki to westbound destinations they do not serve themselves.

Perhaps Qatar’s methods are more a reflection of the meglomaniac who runs it and his ambitions rather than anything to do with Oneworld.

The Qantas/Emirates relationship was long established when QR joined Oneworld and it is time limited if not renewed. That said QF seem to find it highly beneficial and it has certainly improved their performance.

I’ve said before, the alliances have run their course and they are too big. I’ve also said Etihad seem to have the right way forward and that is now being copied. It will take the members who are at the core of alliances e.g. LH a long time to wake up to this and some no doubt will be too late to the table.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[quote quote=583223]Edski777 – 21/05/2016 23:09 BST
    Don’t forget IAG is a Spanish company. IMO Brexit makes no difference whatsoever – UK govt have made a habit of allowing self-offs to EU and non-EU companies regardless of the position of the EU. (Who incidentally conveniently ignore French Government significant holdings in a range of “Utilities”.)[/quote]

But the flagship member of IAG is a British company, with a British operating licence, which will (if Brexit actually happens) lose the advantage of any EU freedom rights – as will the other members as regards flights to and from the UK.

Which makes one wonder further – if the UK doesn’t join the EEA or rejoin the EFTA, what will happen to Norwegian and Ryanair flights to/from the UK??

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls