“Ground Control to Major Tom”

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

No, not another plea to Mr Otley for some civility on the forum, but a video taken on what is possibly the ultimate business trip!

Best viewed in HD if you have a good connection:

http://youtu.be/KaOC9danxNo

If you haven’t seen this, it’s an excellent youtube of the Ziggy Stardust classic. Some great photography, and perhaps a reminder too to keep perspective about what’s important – you can hardly see the BT forum in any of these shots …!

I think it’s particularly inspiring to see someone very “human” sharing their extraordinary experience above the planet, in a way not often seen from the somewhat “cookie cutter” astronaut types.

Can’t be too much longer before we can stay in space; I’m not madly keen, but if a few hours up there cost less than a week in the Cipriani, it might be a nice thing to do for a special event.

I think he’s on twitter.

Andrew66
    Participant

Saw a clip on the news tonight , loved the floating guitar !!! However Major Tom was a fictional astronaut created by David Bowie and has nothing to do with Ziggy Stardust who was fictional rock star created by Bowie 3 years later , I’m a Bowie fan , loved his music from the 80s when he did Ashes to Ashes which also referred to Major Tom in the lyrics .
    In my opinion I like Ziggy era the best but Space Oddity is a great song and strangely reached No1 in 1975 despite being played and released during the moon landing in 1969 .

VintageKrug
    Participant

I never got into Bowie, so thanks for your elucidation of the difference between him and Ziggy Stardust!

I can only blame Jon Snow, who made reference to Ziggy Stardust when playing the clip on the news earlier.

tangey1
    Participant

Frankly, I’m amazed he had all that time to set up the scores of shots, angles etc, and edited the whole thing.

One would have thought that sending a guy up to the space station for a 5 month tour, which must cost many millions of somebody’s money, his entire time up there would be mapped out to the last few minutes of the various experiments, duties etc he should be performing.

The fact that he had time to make a pop video homage is worrying !

http://www.goingonrewards.com

HarryMonk
    Participant

billybab, I’m sure the guy got some downtime, even in space no one can be expected to work 24/7 and it gives the space program a bit of good publicity whether anyone agrees with its necessity and expenditure in hard times or not.

VintageKrug
    Participant

How much is 2m youtube views worth in advertising terms…? Excellent publicity for the space programme and worth every penny.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls