Grand Prix Gate Dash – well done BA

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• Fclass
    Participant

I, like many others, need assistance at airports. My issue is walking any distance. In most countries it works well, particularly the US, Spain, Portugal, Malaysia, Australia and many others. The worst is almost always Heathrow!

However, I experienced a problem at Dublin Airport yesterday. Having been taken by the assistance staff to the Lounge that BA uses in more than good time for the flight, and with a promise to collect me by a certain time, no one then materialised! Lounge staff made 3 calls to the assistance company who finally arrived 15 minutes before scheduled take off, and seemed unconcerned until I told them the departure time and that the gate was some distance .

After a ‘Grand prix’ dash in the wheelchair, much cursing and shouting at other passengers by the “pusher” , and a call to me from BA gate staff politely enquiring where I was, ( all credit to them, they held the gate open, thanks), I arrived at the gate, boarded, and the doors closed with immediate push back.

On the short trip to LCY I pondered, if I had missed the flight, who was responsible?

Any thoughts fellow travellers?

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Is this actually BA’s issue / fault or that of ground staff at Dublin airport who are perhaps employed by the airport / ground handling?
    An unpleasant experience and glad you made the flight.

cybertravller
    Participant

I would say the airport is responsible for providing the service. I have seen this issue before as crew when the aircraft is delayed due to the wheelchair pushers turning up very late or not turning up at all. I recall one incident in Edinburgh where the Captain dispatched me to locate said pusher for a passenger. The turnaround manager and I discovered him near the gate, sitting in the wheelchair on the phone with his girlfriend.

The conversation we had with him was not pleasant.

cwoodward
    Participant

I have recently needed (temporarily I hope) need a chair to get to and from gates.
    Over several flights in and around Asia and to New Zealand all has worked wonderfully for me -seamless.
    Thus I have come to the unavoidable conclusion that performance OR NOT of this simple function that requires basic logistical management skills only is down to the quality of the management and the training of the staff.
    Simply said in my opinion some airports and areas of the world have management and staff that care and some not.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Interesting point. Some of us might recall a wheelchair user who was left on a plane at Stansted with all the ensuing incoveniences. The wheelchair user ended up suing Ryanair who claimed it was the airports responsibility. The court found in favour of the wheelchair user. I do not know nor can remember the details of the case but clearly as to who is responsible is open to opinion

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

A further take on this. I flew back to the UK from Alicante onTuesday last with Jet2, who were excellent I might add, and counted 16 assistance wheelchairs at the gate. I dont recall seeing that many in my years of travel.All those who required assistance, they actually boarded last, either climbed the stairs albeit slowly or boarded through the “catering door” . The latter once in the aircraft, left the chairs and nearly all moved comfortably down the aisle. Not in any way casting aspersions on those travellers are we seeing attempts by some travellers to obtain early boarding via assistance?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

A slightly different mode of transport, but whilst waiting for a Sky Train in BKK last week, 2 wheel chairs arrived on the platform around 1 minute before the arrival of a train, waiting by the correct door of the train and collected 2 passengers. It was very interesting to see the efficiency.

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

I have business in the Philippines in travel ther very often. Manila seems to be the world capital of wheelchairs meeting flights. This is largely due to the terrible diet of piles white rice with every meal. This has little to do with class or available funds they just like white rice and so many suffer from diabetes or have had strokes due to the diet.

Meeting every incoming flight are at least 10 wheelchairs all with smiling attendants – I try to walk as I don’t want to be an ‘old crock’ (very silly and British of course) and invariably get picked up by a passing buggy – nice people the Filipinos

RoyC
    Participant

In response to CathayLoyalist2 – I am one of these people ! I have spinal stenosis which badly affects my balance and normally have to use a rollator to walk around. On board I can go from row to row provided I have something on which to hold and would appear,at a casual glance,to have no defect. I can assure you that I would much rather have no spinal problem and not have to rely on special assistance if possible. I must say that this service in my experience is invaluable and normally carried out efficiently with cheerful and helpful staff.

Montysaurus
    Participant

[postquote quote=1352114]

I travel to Madeira every year and there are significant numbers of elderly passengers who need assistance and at both the London and Funchal ends the service they get is exemplary. I also admire these passengers for refusing to let their difficulties to prevent them going on holiday; I might be tempted to give up travelling.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1352136]I have something on which to hold and would appear,at a casual glance,to have no defect.[/quote]

We all have to be very careful not to criticise others about “cheating”. Very many people – not including me – have disabled characteristics which are hidden and not very apparent to the outside world.

Unfortunately, there are people who use this mantra to their advantage, when actually they have no disability.

4 users thanked author for this post.

PlaneSpeaking
    Participant

I sympathise with everyone who has mobility issues and it’s good to hear of some airlines who handle this well. My limited experience has been diabolical and this was with BA. For a day return to Leeds for the mum-in-law a few years ago, we arranged assistance at both ends via BA’s site. The experience at both ends was nothing short of abysmal and in fact, non-existent with nobody caring one iota. In the end, we found a spare wheelchair and pushed the mum-in-law ourselves. My point though is the assistance was arranged via BA’s site and whilst it may well be easy for them to blame the airport, it was still arranged through BA and the duty of care rests with them. It’s a bit like Do & Co forgetting to load an aircraft with food – BA wouldn’t hand out Do & Co’s phone number to passengers and say it’s nothing to do with the airline. I’m therefore not surprised that the Ryanair passenger mentioned above won their case, particularly if the booking requirement was via Ryanair itself, as with BA.

cwoodward
    Participant

It seems pretty clear from this thread that even with prior arrangement in the UK at least even pre-booked assistance is very hit and mis.
    In my limited personal experience and observation over some years these arrangements in Asia work well and most being generous of spirit and willing to assist should something go amiss.
    It would be perhaps interesting to know how wheelchair bookings work in other countries particularly in the EU.
    Do they normally work well ?

RoyC
    Participant

Faro/Lisbon/Bristol every aspect of service, security and passport control excellent
    Leeds/Bradford extremely friendly and (too !) chatty but totally disorganised.
    Dubai efficient but not so friendly with the feeling of looking for tips at every stage.
    Birmingham varied performance from superb to misinformation and being denied boarding.
    C.D.G. the pusher ‘ got lost’ we missed our flight and then had a battle to get rerouted for a cruise.
    Genoa ” there’s a chair” but we have no pushers ! My wife excelled herself !
    LGW surprisingly (after other comments) excellent service apart from officious security.

FDOS
    Participant

To answer your question ‘On the short trip to LCY I pondered, if I had missed the flight, who was responsible?’.

I believe it is the passenger’s responsibility to be at the gate in time for boarding, so in terms of responsibility, it would be yours directly.

Then one would have to look at the provision of care and the responsibilities there.

IMO, it would be likely that you would have a claim against the airport.

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls