Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Swissdiver
    Participant

Going back to Asia, finally! Since Uber withdrew, considering Grab. So this is a twofold question:
    – Grab: any feedback?
    – Did anyone face issue lodging a European payment card in their system?

Speedbird1994
    Participant

I used it in Singapore. Very easy to use, just like Uber and no issues. I don’t remember any problems adding a UK debit card to the payment system.

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

Huge in Philippines for at least the past 7 years.

A huge success for Uber also in Hong Kong is Uber. Only Uber Cabs launched about 2 years ago – they joined with the urban cab groups to offer the Uber experience and charging but with red cabs. Flag fall fee plus a very small surcharge- so insignificant that I cant recall how much.
    It works wonderfully with a cab arriving in moments – I would go as far as to say that ‘its the only way to go’ in Hong Kong now.

stevescoots
    Participant

I use it in VN all the time, however its tied to my local card. i know some expats have had problems trying to get it to accept overseas cards however you can just pay cash to the driver which if i did not have a local card i would prefer cash

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

Works very well in Singapore and Malaysia but you need a local sim

Senator
    Participant

[postquote quote=1351086]

I have used Grab in Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore with a mix of roaming on my Swedish mobile and connected to hotel wi-fi without any problems.

I have a Mastercard issued in Sweden connected, and it works very well.

My best experience was in Kuala Lumpur back in December when we stayed at the Mandarin Oriental. Around midnight, my soon-to-be five-year-old fell ill, and we needed to get some over-the-counter drugs delivered. The night duty manager helped me order on my Grab account, and 20min later we had delivery at the hotel. During our 11 night stay in Penang, we used Grab for food a few times.

In Singapore, the service is top notch. I have used it extensively. Highly recommended.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Thank you all for your replies!

Let me add this. Grab customer service over Twitter is rather responsive. And this is the rule to enter a card in the app: to be in a country where Grab operates. So with a little VPN trick, I could add my card.

Andy McF
    Participant

Used it extensively living in Malaysia for years – works fine, and even going back as a tourist (admittedly, still using my old Malaysian sim) with European cards tied to it, no issue.

I can’t speak for Singapore, Vietnam, etc. – but I will say in Malaysia certainly post-pandemic fares are higher than ever and driver scarcity can make for long/unreliable waits at times. During peak times, you may need to consider going for one of the more expensive options (GrabCar Plus or Premium) to be sure of getting a car in something approaching a timely manner.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls