Goodbye to Gatwick Express

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

Interesting article in the independent talking about why the Gatwick Express has become pointless.

In fact despite travelling through Gatwick I had no idea it had been canned.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/gatwick-express-airport-train-passengers-b835554.html

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=1012968][/postquote]

I havent lived in the UK for some 12 years Simon, but when I did I lived in Sussex and drove everyday to Gatwick to take the Gatwick Express to London and then the tube to Hammersmith where I worked at the time, the service was brilliant (albeit expensive) and apart from the odd mishap on the tracks was always on time and packed! I am still very friendly with a couple of the regulars that used to do the same as I and it became a bit of a supper club etc (something like BT for a few of us)

I have not used Gatwick for many years now so clearly I dont know what changes have taken place there but not having the Express Service again would surely damage it reputation got those using the airport in London or indeed from elsewhere!

Swissdiver
    Participant

In a nutshell, the old comfy seats in first class have been replaced by commuter train style’s, so it is essentially to the same standard as any other train. The only remaining advantage is the direct service, slightly faster than the others (a gain of 10ish minutes if my memory serves). GWX price (one way): “from GBP 28.30” instead of the regular price of GBP 20ish. Not worth the money.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1012993]I havent lived in the UK for some 12 years Simon, but when I did I lived in Sussex and drove everyday to Gatwick to take the Gatwick Express to London and then the tube to Hammersmith where I worked at the time, the service was brilliant (albeit expensive) and apart from the odd mishap on the tracks was always on time and packed! I am still very friendly with a couple of the regulars that used to do the same as I and it became a bit of a supper club etc (something like BT for a few of us)

I have not used Gatwick for many years now so clearly I dont know what changes have taken place there but not having the Express Service again would surely damage it reputation got those using the airport in London or indeed from elsewhere![/quote]

These days it isn’t really a Gatwick Express any more. Most of the trains started/ended in Brighton as they needed to squeeze more capacity from the tracks and the GE was mostly empty while the normal trains were rammed. Which rather undermined the airport service/premium price element.

The saving in minutes is 3 or 4 over normal services at most.

Plus of course with the new TL services to Cambridge and Peterborough you now have 16 trains an hour to/through London and can easily get to Victoria, London Bridge, Blackfriars, St Pancras, Farringdon etc which in many cases is more convenient.

1 user thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Occasionally I go from North London to Gatwick & would never consider any other way than Thames Link (or whatever it is called).

one change at Kings X/St Pancras never takes more than 1 hour 15. Yes it stops along the way, but no where near as frequently as it used to, but 75 minutes on a train (currently very empty) verses M25/M3… at any time… train wins hand down.

I used to take the tube to Victoria and then the G/E – until I realised it took 50% longer and cost 50% more..

Andrew
    Participant

The fact that it’s non-stop is an attraction. Visitors to the country know that, once on the train to London, no-one else is going to get in it. Compare that with the stopping trains on the RER from CDG which Air France recommend you don’t catch. On the train back, you know you just have to get off at the next station – nice and easy. If you are a visitor to this country, security and simplicity are worth a premium.

maxgeorge
    Participant

Ditto KIX into Osaka Namba.

The fast option is Nankai Railway’s recently renamed “Rap:t” (sic). That’s the odd-looking knife-nosed train, specifically designed for airport traffic. Spacious reserved seats, etc.

The cheaper “Limited Express” makes multiple stops and gets very crowded. Much like the RER.

JR trains are a better option to Kyoto, but require transfers for Osaka.

All are, of course, spotlessly clean, 100% reliable and always on time. Unlike the Gatwick Express.

LetsFlyNow
    Participant

Last year after i landed late at night at LGW i tried to buy a ticket for the Gatwick Express and the sales person at the counter told me not to waste money and take the normal train instead. The difference in total travel time to London was less than 10mins.

If the sales people can’t even recommend it to tourists then there’s hardly any use for it.

Raffles99
    Participant

There is one benefit. If you get a taxi to Victoria, you can get them to drop you off in the car park where the Pret head office is. There are two escalators here which lead directly onto the GEx platform. Taxi to train in 30 seconds.

(Downside to this is if you just miss a train. You can’t wander off to get a coffee because you’re on the platform and the shops are the other side of the barriers!)

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

Southern trains only stop at Clapham [very useful from SW London] and Croydon on the way down, so what? takes all of 10 minutes longer-if that, is more frequent and costs less. GX was only aimed at tourists who didn’t know better. There was a time it used intercity style trains where the local services were clapped out so it felt a bit different, but not any more.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1013275][/postquote]

Not even 10 minutes – standard services take 31 or 33 minutes. So less than 5 mins difference.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Having been on the service zillions of times (originating at Brighton) there is no real gain over the Southern Services that stop at East Croydon and Clapham as you slow down for the services in front that have stopped anyway as there are no spare paths, so end up crawling through these stations. The 2 minute saving is a “false” timetabled saving. At peak times the service is useful without the intermediate stops and dealing with rush hour traffic, but through day the stops wouldn’t be problematic.

Sadly the seats on the new trains are rubbish for those in 1st and they should have done better – but for standard class probably best of the Southern/GX/Thameslink trio. It is quicker on the Thameslink services to London Bridge than to Victoria anyway and that is better for those going into the City. but in normal times when you have a service every 4-5 minutes into London – the Premium for Gatwick Express now an utter waste of money.

In the long run capacity better used for all of those from Sussex into London with a more reliable service (still will have the Brighton – Gatwick – Victoria services) and “clock face” timetables where it can be done. Likewise for those wanting to get into Victoria quickly maybe colour coding services (Green for fast / Yellow for Semi Fast and Red for the slow stopping services at the likes of Merstham). Might be easier for travellers to identify quick trains to Victoria.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Indeed Andrew. Hence Paris has plans for a CDG Express in the coming years.

It would depart from Paris Est (adjacent to Paris Nord).

https://www.railwaygazette.com/cdg-express-delayed-to-2026/48621.article

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls