Good hotel recommendations in Hong Kong ?

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Anonymous

degreecy
    Participant

I’m planning to take my wife to Hong Kong for our wedding anniversary. Wondered whether anybody had any really good recommendations on hotels ?

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Hello Degreecy,

I have been to HK many times on business but never for an event like and anniversary. I was fortunate enough to stay in the Mandarin Oriental which was fantastic from the moment the hotel Rolls picked me up from the airport until it dropped me back again when I left.

The service was amongst the best I have ever had. I know it is quite pricey but not the detail as the bill was paid by my client and so I did not get to see it.

The JW Marriott is also a very nice hotel.

i am sure that other posters will share their favourites with you and you will mke your choice. One thing you can be fairly certain of is that whatever hotel you end up staying in will give you the kind of service that the Far East is famous for.

Please elt us know where you decide to stay and have a wonderful time.

Safe travels,

Jonathan

NTarrant
    Participant

Hi Degreecy

If you are looking for something perhaps midrange but nice, I have stayed at the Novotel Centry before and it was very nice. The rooms are not massive, but clean and comfortable.

Food provided at the hotel was also very good.

Have a good trip

Nigel

continentalclub
    Participant

Hong Kong is literally awash with great hotels and I can well understand how difficult it can be to make a qualified decision. To a certain extent, even the length of your stay can have a bearing; if it’s a short stay and you’re going to be lagged for a significant part of it, then I’d really encourage you to invest in a ‘room with a view’.

Victoria Harbour is a constantly morphing stage upon which a never-ending blockbuster show is performed and if all you can do is drag yourself to your window in a fluffy robe, then having a window on the harbour is worth its weight in gold!

If you’re an American Express cardholder at the Platinum level or above, then I’d also encourage you to investigate their Fine Hotels & Resorts programme, which can offer some very worthwhile benefits.

If you’ve yet to book your flights, then it’s worth checking out ‘dynamic packages’ on airline websites. They can be extremely well-priced and regularly promote additional inclusions. British Airways, for example, often shows discounted rates and bonus BA Miles at their package site:

http://bit.ly/dC653y

Cathay Pacific is worth looking at too:

http://bit.ly/94NS0f

In particular their CX Holidays section of the site.

The InterContinental Hong Kong (not the Grand Stanford) is well worth looking at, has terrific views and, in my opinion, serves a better aftenoon tea than its near-neighbour, The Peninsula. That said, The Pen is a stunning hotel and tower rooms have incredible views.

I’ve spent many a night at the Marco Polo Hongkong Hotel too; staying on the Club Floors. Indeed, the name of those floors might explain the origin of something very close to me ;-). Although the HkH is not in the same league as the IC and The Pen, it’s a very welcoming place. Harbour view rooms are available but the orientation of the property means that the views are not as stunning as those from the IC and Pen.

Over on the Island, many wax lyrical about The Mandarin Oriental, and justifiably so. If your taste is more modern, then I also hear great things about The Upper House.

Tablet Hotels:

http://bit.ly/cy3kqo

and

Travel Intelligence:

http://bit.ly/bi74Kx

do a pretty good job of sorting the wheat from the chaff and might help inspire you. Good luck with whatever you decide!

PaulJennings
    Participant

I’ve styed at the Mandarin Oriental and at the Peninsula and would recommend both as destination places. Personally I prefer the Mandarin Oriental. The hotel is very comfortable and the service is some of the best in the world. It is perfect for a special occasion and it is reassuringly, consistently, good.

The Mandarin Oriental is quite expensive, but will discount. I would suggest approaching a knowledgeable travel agent like Trailfinders for special rates or, more likely, upgrades and freebies.

alexlondon
    Participant

Interesting how people have different views… I prefer the Peninsula to the Mandarin Oriental. For a special occasion, the key is the view over Hong Kong Habour. Since the Mandarin Oriental is part of the view, you can’t actually benefit from it! It’s a must though to visit for a drink.
    Tea at the Peninsula is a great institution and guests don’t have to join the increadible queues!
    My advice is to stay at the Intercontiental – truely one of the finest hotels in the World. Get the best view you can afford – their harbour view rooms have (without doubt) the best views in Hong Kong. Lovely outdoor pool which the Mandarin Oriential doesn’t have. Minutes from the Star Ferry and ferries to all the outlying islands.
    Enjoy…

r ryan
    Participant

The big dilemma for me in Hong Kong is deciding whether to stay on the mainland or the island. Both have their attractions. I do agree with many of the other comments though – the Mandarin is wonderful experience, and you cannot fail to be utterly delighted; however the views to be had from hotels on the Kowloon side would have to be pretty much the most spectacular in the world. I would ultimately go for the harbour view – especially at night when the light show will blow you away. Regardless, HK is a great choice for a special occasion. Amazing place.

OzTraveller
    Participant

With respect degreecy, if you would like some recommendations from fellow travellers here, you should give some more details. What level of luxury are you willing to pay for? So far, people have mentioned the Mandarin and the Peninsula but be aware these are the top luxury hotels in HK and you will pay accordingly. Maybe that style of luxury is not what you and your wife feel comfortable in … HK is awash with great hotels and not all of them are 5 star. I agree a view of the harbour would add a sparkle to the celebration, but there are some great hotels with fine views of the harbour that won’t cost you an arm and a leg. Let’s know more about your budget and we can give you more relevant information.
    On second thoughts, come on down to Australia .. great hotels, great views and great prices …

Travellator
    Participant

Four seasons is our favourite, we visit twice a year. We get a deluxe premier harbour view usually on the 42 floor.We pay for the executive club. Buffet breakfast, all day snacks and unlimited drinks plus free wifi. The leisure club is amazing and the vitality pool ( the big bubbly ) ia awesome.

OzTraveller
    Participant

You see degreecy, Travellator tells us about his big splurge twice a year at the Four Seasons in an executive club premier deluxe harbour view room ..(phew) .. if you wanted a room like that in the next few days you would be paying close to 600 UK Pounds per night … i would suggest you look at this website and see what suits .. http://www.fivestaralliance.com/luxury-hotels/665/asia/hong-kong/hong-kong

Travellator
    Participant

Not up to splurges of £ 600. In October and April we can do a deal for nearer £ 400 – when you add in the price of the freebies it is good value for money and on a par with Peninsula, Conrad , Manadarin etc

BABenji
    Participant

my girlfriend and I stayed at Langham Place, Mong Kok, for New Year. The hotel is great. The staff were excellent. It’s close to the Ladies and Night Markets, as well as the subway for getting around (although taxi’s are wonderfully cheap).

Roof top pool with views over the city and a spa which cost me a fortune, but was worth every penny (she went and had some treatments, and I had my peace!!).

There is a michelin starred restaurant in the building, a couple of great bars and a really good breakfast buffet too.

I would definitely stay there again.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls