Going to Thailand next month

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• ekeBrown
    Participant

I’m going to Thailand next month for a business trip. Gonna stay around Bangkok. I also want to travel around the place and maybe meet some new friends while I’m there. I’m aware that Thailand is heavily populated with foreigners so I’m not that worried for my safety. I heard Thai ladies are very pretty and I’d love to meet or even date some of them. What are your experiences in going to Thailand and dating there? What should I look out for (if there are any)?

capetonianm
    Participant

The subtext of your message makes it pretty clear what you are looking for. I’m not criticising that, but be very careful. The women whom you are likely to meet and ‘date’ as you call it, are only out to get their hands on your wallet, which they will do very skillfully and efficiently. You will either pay in cash and if you are smart you will be able to walk away, meaning you pay, not for the sex, but for being able to walk away. If you are less smart you will be suckered into a relationship which means your bank account will be slowly bled dry over time and you will be ruined.

I know a number of western men who have ended up that way after meeting Thai girls – oh, and some of them aren’t even girls!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’ve never been to Bangkok, but many of my friends have and there are lots of warning stories.
    Should you go out with one, you won’t only be taking her out, but supporting the whole family, for all their needs as well as medical expenses.
    It starts small and builds up and up, till as Capetonian says, you’re bled dry.

esselle
    Participant

If it looks too good to be true, then it probably is……………..

ImissConcorde
    Participant

If you meet a local lady in Thailand it will only be on a commercial basis which starts when you take her from the bar and have to
    pay them a fee for each night she is not availabke to work there. Then whatever arrangement you make with her. Before long she will hear from her mother upcountry who needs urgent medical treatmnt. Get your wallet out again.
    There us so much more to Thailand than that scene. I took my partner for the first time in February. He loved Chatuchack market, the palaces, temples shopping and food. We then spent a night on the River Kwai. Very moving. Thee second week was in Phuket at the winner of best B&B in Thailand. Superb holiday!

handbag
    Participant

ImissConcorde

Please tell us more about “winner of best B&B in Thailand”. Go to Thailand every year and love to hear top choices.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I have just walked from Sukhumvit soi 19 up to soi 3 and back. There is nothing worth exchanging money for, either from the hawkers selling tut, to the business ladies and others selling……. services. However, it is all in good humour and there is no offence taken for declining to open your wallet.

I did stop in the Sofitel for a drink (wanted to see their roof top bar) and am now safely back in my hotel room ready to sleep.

Have a wonderful weekend….

Ekond222
    Participant

….Remember to write your name on your ping-pong ball…that way you’ll know which one is yours…

Tramor01
    Participant

There is a saying “The best looking women in Bangkok aren’t!”

Flightlevel
    Participant

Almost as many anecdotes as tourists – and it is now the second busiest destination, personally find language/ communication difficult since they have little sense of humour.
    It is however good for vacations and have stayed in great villas with my family.
    There are some good women and friend’s Thai daughter-in-law is great company in the UK and her children work and vacation here and there and ofcourse have dual passports.

capetonianm
    Participant

I have two friends happily married to Thai women. The difference is that in both cases they were professional people who met at work in a professional environment, and not when the male was trawling the bars and clubs of BKK for cheap sex and the female was on the lookout for a sucker to fill her wallet and feed her family, and those are the type that the casual tourist to Thailand will meet.

I too find that they have little sense of humour and communication is hard even if they speak good English, since their mentality and outlook is so different, and having worked with some Thai people I find that the smiles are false, and they can be quite sly and devious. That said, we all have different tastes. Having been to Thailand several times, I’m in no hurry to go back, the only thing I really enjoy is the food and there are good (and bad) Thai restaurants everywhere.

ImissConcorde
    Participant

handbag – The place is called Baan Malinee (www.bedandbreakfastinphuket.com) This is his third location. I’be been going there for about 10 years. Don’t take my word for it. Check out Trip Advisor!!

handbag
    Participant

ImissConcorde

Thanks had a look, it looks great. I love The Slate on Phuket (formerly Indigo Pearl), especially the pool suite.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls