Global Entry

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

Tom

How many BA flights to the US leave from Scotland?

Therefore, no need for pre-clearance other than at Heathrow, since BA kindly provides domestic services to make life easy for you.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Quick question

Will the interview with a US Customs official have to be done in the US, or will it be possible to do this at the Embassy in London? I know in past had to go to US for interview – but thought they might make it easier and do in London / Edinburgh?

No idea if anyone will have the answer to this?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Seems Swiss nationals will also be allowed to use Global Entry.

KennyK14
    Participant

Does anyone have a link on where to apply for UK pre clearance via UK Border Force? The only link I can seem to find is http://www.gov.uk, and the search facility does not really help.
    Thank you!

JasmineBear
    Participant

Global Entry went live yesterday for all UK citizens

Put my application in yesterday and received notification of my payment and application… Fingers crossed it will be accepted for stage 2

https://global-entry.beta.homeoffice.gov.uk/register-to-apply

chriswiles
    Participant

Out of interest, what’s the difference between Global Entry and using the ESTA automatic machines?

For instance, in November 2014 I went to MIA and had to queue through immigration. Took 2 hours. Was a horrible experience. However, went back November 2015 and they’ve installed automatic machines which allow ESTA users to go through immigration automatically. This is much quicker and the whole experience took about 15 minutes.

So, what would Global Entry offer over and above this scenario?

JasmineBear
    Participant

Accepted by UK Border Control and got my required code to complete my enrolment from the US side at https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/main/goes

Noted though it will take up to 14 days for GOES to accept and then the final part is the interview at an enrolment centre no more than 30 days after the GOES approval, which all appear to be based in the US, so have to be there in that limited window.

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/enrollment-centers

Does anyone know if you can interview at a UK site, such as US Embassy?

JasmineBear
    Participant

@chriswiles

From the US Customs & Border Control Website, suggested benefits are listed…..

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/benefits

-No processing lines
    -No paperwork
    -Access to expedited entry benefits in other countries
    -Available at major U.S. airports
    -Reduced wait times
    -TSA Pre?® Eligibility

Last ESTA machine experience wasn’t quite as bad as 2 hours, but it wasn’t great, so GE benefits appear to be very different. From my colleagues who have GE already from other countries, they do appear to sail through CBP quickly !

chriswiles
    Participant

@JasmineBear

“Last ESTA machine experience wasn’t quite as bad as 2 hours”

Sorry, that wasn’t via the machine. That was in the regular immigration queue. The machine experience brought the wait time down to 15 minutes!

That’s why I wondered what Global Entry would offer above using the ESTA machine as it was pretty quick and pain-free.

KennyK14
    Participant

I have applied for Global Entry, only because sometimes the kiosk queues are also horrendous if multiple international flights arrive at around the same time.
    I have now been conditionally approved, but need to undergo an interview when I next visit the USA, or more likely, when I go to Australia, as there is an interviewing office in Doha, through which I plan to pass in January.

JasmineBear
    Participant

@KennyK14

Is there a website which outlines the locations of any non-US based enrolment centres? I could only find the US ones?

chriswiles
    Participant

@kennyK14

I thought the interview was at the US embassy in London? Can this be done in the US? If so, I might apply as I’m off to Miami in January – perfect time for the interview.

KennyK14
    Participant

@JasmineBear

There are very few. I could only see Doha, a few in Canada, Singapore, Puerto Rico and Guam.

I don’t really understand why US Embassies cannot be deployed for this.

Furthermore, I have just realised that I need to schedule the interview within 30 days of receiving my conditional approval.

JasmineBear
    Participant

@kennyK14
    Completely agree on the US Embassies.

@chriswiles
    I have had to delay starting my GOES application, as I wasn’t scheduled to be back in the US through any of the available US airports until Feb and I will then be at the potential mercy of a very limited timeslot at JFK as I transit through there, before the office shuts.

New York in Feb or Miami in Jan…. No contest on the weather….

chriswiles
    Participant

@JasmineBear

“New York in Feb or Miami in Jan…. No contest on the weather….”

True. Just back from Miami, too. Mind you, it was absolutely hammering it down! Never seen so much rain. 9 inches they claimed. Floods, the lot.

I still don’t understand the benefits of Global Entry over the ESTA machines – they seem to use the same machines at Miami!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls