Global Entry

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)

• Anonymous

OneA
    Participant

If we are such great allies / supporters of the USA, why on earth aren’t we eligible to apply for Global Entry? I would happily pay $100 for lifetime smooth entry into the USA (assuming I was accepted of course!).
    Its quite a bizarre mixture of countries who are allowed to join, but look particularly at the last one!!!
    •Citizens of Germany
    •Citizens of the Netherlands
    •Citizens of Panama
    •Citizens of South Korea
    •Mexican nationals
    I asked a dept of H/S border chap at MIA 2 weeks ago if upstanding UK citizens with UK passports were included in the aliens entitled to apply and he responded, “I’m not sure Sir, but Mexicans can so I guess UK citizens certainly could.” Lovely answer I thought.
    So when are we going to be able to breeze in and out like the Germans, Mexicans and South Koreans can?

Charles-P
    Participant

Probably because the US views Britain as full of nutcase Jihadists who are one step away from another attack. Regretfully that is not a bad assessment.

HedgeFundFlyer
    Participant

Not helpful I know, but BA very kindly bestowed entry to the scheme on me about three years ago. I love just breezing past the queue at JFK and ORD.

I gather the DHS gave them five hundred or so places which they then offered to their top US frequent fliers. It is worth its weight in gold.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I managed to get mine through advice on this wonderful forum about 2 years ago, when someone published details of how to make an application and obtain the “code number” required.

The programme has certainly enabled me to catch internal connections from International flights in under 1 hour..

Coincidentally, I have the leaflets about current application process on my desk. If you can Google and find:

CBP Publication 0101-0513
    CBP Publication 0000-0806

There is also the website – wwwglobalentry.gov

OneA
    Participant

Martyn – your opening paragraph is enticing; do you have a link to that advice from 2 years back, at all?
    Of the 2 publications you list there is nothing really of help to citizens of unapproved countries in the second one and the first publication isn’t recognised by Google.
    Many thanks.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Afraid not Nigel. I gave the details (phone number, email and name of official) to another poster a month or so back and the contact details were no longer valid.

I did go into the MCO Global Entry office last week to try and speak to someone as I am keen to try and get my family enrolled… I was told little to no chance and the office could not help.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

you chaps need to choose your entry points more carefully – there are still decently efficiently places to both connect and enter!

OneA
    Participant

Many thanks Martyn – I guess it cant be too long before Barak trusts David as much as he does a Mexican! That said, Charles P has a very vaild point indeed thanks to our erstwhile PM AB!

OneA
    Participant

Yes Peter indeed there are…….but sometimes, logistics make it very difficult financially and connection time wise. That said, I now get to DFW by flying to IAH and then an internal onward flight!

OneA
    Participant

Great news BigDog – thank you! However, if the US are introducing immigration pre-clearance at LHR, does that not obviate the need for the paid for Global Entry scheme membership, on the basis that the formality will take a bit of time at LHR (rather than at destination USA)and will hence pass some of the tedious time otherwise spent in airport lounges, at hours where even a seasoned GP would decline a glass of fizz?!

HedgeFundFlyer
    Participant

To be clear, it is UK citizens not UK residents who are eligible to apply.

TominScotland
    Participant

Errrrrrr, NigelHuggins, you may not be aware of this but not all travellers live in London and/ or use LHR!!

OneA
    Participant

Apologies TiS, I was indeed following on in a personal perspective, simply as it was my initial thread. Didnt mean to exclude others although the fact is that the vast majority of flights to the US do depart from LHR. I was actually seeking an answer to a query rather than making a statement.
    It is 92 miles and (about) a 1hr 20 minute drive from my driveway to the barrier of the Sofitel car park. Connecting flights from regional airports used to be trivial in cost…..we dont have the option from our local airport to fly to London. I still find the onvenience of LHR attractive in terms of air travel options.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls