Global Entry to the US

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• greyhawkgeoff
    Participant

As a long term fan of Global Entry I was interested to read that that the US authorities have given a blanket extension of 6 months to anyone whose eligibility is about to expire, if you apply for renewal. https://ttp.dhs.gov

In a case close to my heart, they did not show the extension automatically when you log in, and this meant an application to the Home Office for a clearance to apply code, for a hefty £42. Lo and behold at that point the application to Homeland Security was declined, as the validity had already been extended for 12 months!

When life returns nearer to the old normal and people want to repeatedly enter the US, Global Entry at £42 plus $100 plus an interview can appear good value for a 5 year term. For non GE travellers some ports of entry like Tampa and Charlotte seem to process people swiftly, others like Miami and JFK are a lottery. Speaking from experience, arrival at Seattle just after half a dozen flights from the far east meant that our inbound plane passengers were held in a corridor a long way short of the arrival immigration area which was packed to the gunnels with visitors, but the magic words Global Entry miraculously brought forth a short cut straight thru to the GE machines and a smiling Immigration guy, total delay perhaps 5 minutes. Worth every penny in any currency.

4 users thanked author for this post.

maxgeorge
    Participant

The online application for Global Entry is quite a lengthy process.

You first have to establish a DHS account, then complete the 10 page application.

Well worth it, of course, if, as greyhawk says, you hit a mob arrival at LAX or SEA etc.

You can do the in-person interview on arrival at many US airports.

ttp.cbp.dhs.gov

2 users thanked author for this post.

jjlasne
    Participant

Thank you for the link. It seems that the DHS offers 5 programmes at different price points. Also interesting to note that one can interview in person upon arrival with a CBP officer after a 11- or 15-hour flight.

maxgeorge
    Participant

Yes, I’ve seen signs offering interview on arrival at a several airports. However, I’m not sure if you have to make an appointment beforehand.

In any case, as you say, a weary arrival after a long flight is not the best time for an intrusive grilling.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1096584]In any case, as you say, a weary arrival after a long flight is not the best time for an intrusive grilling.[/quote]

@maxgeorge
    – I do not recall my interview being at all intrusive. Actually found the conversation interesting and informative. main agenda items were to check my original documents and warning me about overstays and what could happen if ‘liberties’ were taken.

I would say there is no worries about scheduling the interview after a longhaul (if worried about being slightly weary) – biggest issue is if the arrival was late or ironically, there were long delays in the immigration hall.

maxgeorge
    Participant

The vagaries of human nature, Martyn. I’ve been entering though PHX of late, as I have found the CBP staff there to be quite a friendly bunch.

Not clear from your post – is an appointment required for interview on arrival, or can you just ‘walk in’?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1096622]Not clear from your post – is an appointment required for interview on arrival, or can you just ‘walk in’?[/quote]

No idea. I’ve had Global for 7 years now and only needed an interview at the start. Used to live 20 minutes from MCO, so it was never an issue for me to get to the meeting. I remember though at that time, they would not take walk ins.

Best “Fast Pass” I have ever purchased and gladly renewed for the very infrequent trips I will now be making to USA.

maxgeorge
    Participant

Thanks, Martyn.

Perhaps you’ll now have time to take that tube train driver’s course you have ruminated upon in the past..

1 user thanked author for this post.

KennyK14
    Participant

It’s not an intrusive grilling – they ask you a few questions on your background, and the reasons for applying, and for visiting the USA. It took me about 15 minutes.

EasternPedlar
    Participant

I took my interview at JFK, after arrival on AA from Heathrow. It was pretty perfunctory. Sadly I haven’t had a chance to experience the benefits of Global Entry as the pandemic has pretty much stopped my travel to the US.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls