Gifting Virgin airmiles to family – that'll be £250 please….

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

I am about to gift 30,000 airmiles to a family member and have been told that as I am not travelling, there will be a charge of £250. This seems excessive…

Is anyone able to comment on this or indeed suffered this charge….? I was under the impression you could gift airmiles anytime as a gift FOC….

capetonianm
    Participant

The gifting is FOC. The £250 is an admin fee!

openfly
    Participant

…..what a rip-off!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

So here’s the logic….

If I had transferred via a gift the 30,000 miles, which represented a part payment for a ticket, to my family member needed, there indeed is a charge of £250.

If I paid for the entire ticket 95,000 miles, there would have been no charge.

The agent gave me a further option, pay for one sector and then there would be no charge. So I ended up gifting 42,000 miles and there was no charge.

I was curious for an explanation about this charge… so I asked why is there a charge when gifting airmiles. The answer …. its the new computer system that’s been introduced, it thinks a gift is a purchase and creates a charge to the donor!!

Anything to generate revenue…

LuganoPirate
    Participant

It’s always the computers fault. What a great scapegoat!

K1ngston
    Participant

“the computer says no”…….

sparkyflier
    Participant

BA do something similar. Frankly nasty/greedy in my opinion

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls