Getting from JFK to La Guardia airport

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• sparkyflier
    Participant

In the next weeks I may be getting a flight which arrives at JFK from UK, but on the following day be getting a flight which leaves from LGA.

What would forum members suggest would be the easiest option/s?

My inclination is to stay at a JFK hotel on arrival and then get to LGA the morning after, and my preference is a direct train or bus.

Any insight and advice would be much appreciated.

JD_84
    Participant

Depends on what time you get into JFK and need to be at LGA in the morning. If its a peak morning flight then my preference would be to get to LGA the night before and stay there. There are a number of decent shuttle services in the NYC area including ETS Shuttle or Carmel.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Senator
    Participant

It depends on the time of the day. I have done this both ways many a time. I normally head into Manhattan and stay there if I have time and enjoy a meal and a drink. I’ve had plenty of pre-7am flights on American, United or Air Canada from LGA and stay typically in a hotel on the East side somewhere near the Queen’s Tunnel or further up to take the Queensboro Bridge. An Uber in the morning is typically 20min, most mornings I have left around 5:15am and had ample time at LGA.

At JFK, I normally take the either Long Island Railroad (LIRR) or the Express E Subway to Manhattan. The LIRR takes you to Penn Station, although there is a new line to Grand Central Madison from Jamaica Station.

To LGA and staying overnight, I would take Subway E to Jackson Hts – Roosevelt Av Station, take a yellow cab or Uber from there to a hotel. I find most of the LGA hotels to be really poor, so I avoid it.

If I arrive before 18:00 into JFK, I normally elect to head into the city. I would not spend the night at JFK, better choices in terms of hotels near airport, but avoid the stress in the morning to get to LGA.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

I would echo a lot of what Senator has said.

The hotels at JFK and LGA are not great and with the former not straight forward to get to by shuttle bus, as you have to take the airport shuttle that links all terminals to the area where the hotel shuttle buses then collect you to take you on to your chosen airport hotel.
    The one exception, which would be my recommendation, is TWA hotel. You can reach it via foot from some terminals as it sits adjacent to Jet Blue’s terminal.

If you don’t fancy this, I wouldn’t personally recommend an LGA area hotel.

If not too late in the day I’d head to Manhattan and stay on the East Side anywhere from Murray Hill up to and inc UES.

If you would prefer to avoid Manhattan, Long Island City could be an option. Shorter journey time from JFK and to LGA in the morning.
    I’d recommend an Uber or Lyft over public transport to LGA.

_glbetrkkr_
    Participant

New Yorker here. I’d also recommend Flushing as a pit stop between flights. I’ve heard good things about the Renaissance and there are many eateries nearby. From there, a cab is only a ten minute ride to LGA (or 20 minute bus ride on the Q48 – notwithstanding traffic for either option). From JFK, Flushing is only a twenty minute car ride or 1 hour via bus (again, notwithstanding any traffic). There are no trains available to LGA from anywhere. From Manhattan, the M60 bus is the most direct option but the bus only operates in the UWS/Harlem (before entering Queens). If you want to stay in Midtown, stay somewhere near the N or W lines so you may ride it to Astoria/Ditmars before connecting to the M60. As another mentioned, Long Island City is a decent option (you can get there via subway from JFK). From there, it’s a ten minute car ride or about 45 minutes via subway/bus (again, notwithstanding any traffic).

sparkyflier
    Participant

Thank you all for your input and advice. Much appreciated. This particular routing will not now happen, but your posts have been helpful in that in the re-scheduled trip I am getting there a different way.

Reminded me how lucky (in Europe)we are to have plentiful public transport options (strikes permitting etc).

AlanOrton1 I liked your suggestion re the TWA hotel – but surely that is a destination in its own right!

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Sparkyflier – it’s definitely well worth a visit. Mine was too brief given flight times.
    I’ve not seen as many people taking photos in a hotel since strolling past the pool deck at the Marina Bay Sands!

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls