Getting from Heathrow to Central London

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

• travelsforfun
    Participant

Bath_VIP,

To answer your question, it seems the current journey time estimate is 50 minutes from Reading to Paddington – this will depend on the exact stopping pattern but is roughly comparable to the existing stopping services. The fast limited stop and nonstop services will remain the quickest option between the two.

Of course, the Elizabeth line comes into its own for journeys beyond Paddington – for example 58 minutes direct from Reading to Farringdon.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I past yet another set of unsuspecting visitors being sold “the fastest deal into London” by the HEx representative, walking out of T5 customs hall… all I could hear was one of them saying, “fastest way to Oxford Street”….

If visitors did not know, there is a Heathrow booth/shop (and I think they are independent) in T5 (cant speak about the other terminals). Turn right once you leave the customs hall and its one of the booths on the right. I believe they will give you ALL the options about how to get into London.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I seem to recall Travelsforfun, from when I was a lad and visited my grandparents, that the change at S. Ken was on the same level. I believe it’s now an escalator ride but you’re right in saying it’s much quicker with more choice of trains.

donkeyasia
    Participant

For all UK travellers, especially those living well outside of the London area, a mention on the availability of the SENIOR RAILCARD, would be appropriate. Hex accept it and results in a discount of between £5.00 and £12.00 per single journey. For all of us over 60 (the issuance age for the card), the saving is a welcome panacea for the higher cost of everything else in London.

capetonianm
    Participant

I wasn’t aware that the Senior Railcard was valid on HEX, and I overheard someone being told very specifically that it wasn’t, however, she was trying to buy her ticket on board, which carries a surcharge, and it may be that railcards are not permitted for on board purchases. Alternatively maybe the onboard ticket seller was uninformed, and it was a few years ago.

I found a list of services and it is clear that the Senior Railcard is valid for a discount on HEX.

Save on these types of tickets:
    Standard and First Class Anytime and Anytime Day Singles and Returns
    Standard and First Class Off-Peak and Off-Peak Day Singles and Returns
    Standard and First Class Super Off-Peak and Super Off-Peak Day Singles and Returns
    Standard and First Class Advance*
    Caledonian Sleeper dedicated tickets: Standard Sleeper Seat, Standard Sleeper Berth (Twin), Standard Sleeper Berth (Solo), First Class Sleeper Berth
    Most Rail Rovers tickets
    Gatwick Express, Stansted Express, Heathrow Express and Heathrow Connect services
    Oyster Off-Peak pay as you go Daily Price Cap and Off-Peak pay as you go single fares for journeys on National Rail, London Underground and Docklands Light Railway – find out more about Railcard discounts with Oyster
    Off-Peak Day Travelcard Zones 1-6 (Subject to minimum fare of £8.00)
    Some ticket types offered by individual train companies – please enquire locally for details
    Anytime Day Travelcard Zones 1-6 when bought as part of ticket to London from outside London (Subject to minimum fare of £17.50)
    Through tickets for travel on the Railair link between Reading and Heathrow Airport
    PLUSBUS – unlimited bus travel at your origin / destination station on participating operators – visit http://www.plusbus.info or your local staffed station for further details
    Some rail/sea journeys with Wightlink, Red Funnel Ferries and Stena Line

* These tickets need to be booked before you travel.

Time Restrictions:
    Your Senior Railcard is NOT valid when travelling between two stations inside London and the South East area during morning peak time.
    Morning off-peak services vary by route, so it’s a good idea to check before buying your tickets.
    Morning peak time restriction does NOT apply on public holidays.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

capetonian is correct. HEX does accept the Senior Railcard (even in peak hours) but tickets must be bought *before* boarding the train.

jsn55
    Participant

We need to travel to our hotel close to Tower Bridge from Hilton T-4 on Monday 21 August in the middle of the day. The husband will not do public transport, can someone give me an estimate of taxi fare for this one-way trip? Many thanks.

capetonianm
    Participant

You can get a quote from Uber on their website. For that journey it shows £34-46 for UberX (the lowest category of cars, they are usually OK) or £50-67 for an XL.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

hueyjudy – “Husband will not do public transport. ”

Nothing wrong with HEX from T4 to Paddington. HEX is comfortable and reliable compared to some other TOCs.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls