Getting a second UK passport

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 124 total)

• Tokyogreen
    Participant

It seems quite a while since the last post, but I hope someone is still reading this thread.
    I live in Shanghai and have a UK passport (recently renewed on a trip to London), but definitely need a second one – my last 48 page passport was full within 18 months and I regularly travel to places, such as India or countries in Africa, where I have to leave the passport for some time with the local Embassy, which affects my ability to leave China at short notice.

My employer is actually a Hong Kong registered company (and the CEO is a UK passport holder), but I remember reading somewhere that the employer who writes the letter supporting the application for a 2nd passport has to be a UK company. Does anyone know if that is correct, and, if so, if there is another (legitimate!) way to do things . . . .

Thanks a lot in advance . . . .

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Tokyo, it makes no difference where the company is. As long as you have a good reason you can apply. See my reply three posts above and read through the thread, all the info is there. Safe travels.

Tokyogreen
    Participant

Lugano Pirate – many thanks! I made the mistake of starting to read the thread from the beginning rather than the end (and got about halfway through the second page . . . . ) before deciding to just write a message.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Tokyo, if you are going to be in London again, then the trip in person to the Passport Office in Victoria is well worth while. Provided you have all the papers you need – mine included the support letter from the Swedish President of the Copenhagen-based organisation for which I work (answering one of your points) – then the staff are very helpful and the same day service really works.

SimonS1
    Participant

I think LJRP must have had a bad experience as I was in there about 3 months ago, polite staff and out very quickly. I would suggest as a precaution taking your first passport with you or at least a copy. The staff there don’t deal with second passports every 5 minutes and it helped me.

Tokyogreen
    Participant

DavidGordon, yes, that was my experience too – and it was even quicker than I was expecting. I got a late afternoon appointment (after the usual closing time) and was shocked to find that I could still pick it up the same evening (around 8.30 pm), despite having been originally told on the phone that I would only be able to get it the next morning. All in all, it was a very professional operation.

AdSolar
    Participant

Dear All,
    I have read through the messages here and they quite helpful. I would like to be enlightened on how to obtain a second UK passport while living in mainland Europe.
    I live in Denmark and I contacted CIBT Visa Central as recommended in a previous post. I placed an order this morning and all that was left was the passport form itself. I called back to have them send me one and was informed that I can only get it at a UK Post office due to the declaration I have to sign stating my presence in the UK.
    How do I work around this?
    Need your advice fast…
    Thanks.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Not quite sure why you went through CIBT, but all the forms can be downloaded and sent by post/courier. You can also get all the links and info from the British Embassy in Denmark website. Send everything with all the relevant documentation / letter of explanation etc, not forgetting the fee.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

I agree LP, I am also partly resident in Denmark and can give the British Embassy in Copenhagen top marks for their helpful attitude.

Tokyogreen
    Participant

Are we confusing 2 processes here? It seems to me that if you want to use one of the Fast Track procedures (or whatever they’re called), which involve a personal visit to the Passport Office in London, you have to pick up the application form from a Post Office (you can’t download it) and the whole process has to be done from within the UK (in either a week or 4 hours, depending which procedure you choose). If you will remain abroad and apply via one of the central offices overseas (for me, it’s Hong Kong), then you can download the form online and everything is done by post.
    Or am I mistaken?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Fast Track is done in the UK at the passport office if attending in person no matter where you live.

All regular applications for UK Nationals living abroad are done by post/courier.

If you need a passport urgently, a letter explaining why with some back up documentation will often help. In Mrs. LP’s case the new pp was returned after just 10 days and that was without any special request. I think it depends on how busy they are and the 4 weeks is just a time limit in case they are very busy.

All passport renewals are now processed in the UK but the good news is the FCO has just announced a 35% reduction in fees for UK Nationals living abroad!

AdSolar
    Participant

Hi DG10, LP, TG, thanks for the responses.

The embassy in Denmark was actually my starting point but It is stated there that it takes at least 6 weeks. I read about people getting theirs in 5 days so i decided to try CIBT but that didn’t work for the reason stated above.

I need the second passport within 2 weeks for an Angola trip (don’t get me started on that country’s entry restrictions!) and I don’t want to take the risk of receiving late. Any tips on obtaining it in a shorter time frame? I am strongly considering going to the UK to do it in 2 days. What are your thoughts? Your suggestions are welcome.
    Thanks.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

If you have an account with the likes if DHL, UPS etc, then courier the documents and include a return prepaid to your account waybill and envelope addressed to you. Along with a covering letter they will know what to do. Be quick as Easter is approaching and the busy time will soon start for the pp office as they deal with all the travellers who’ve booked their break and forgotten to renew their passports.

Remember also, a passport can be renewed up to 9 months in advance. Any unexpired time will be added to the new pp.

Tokyogreen
    Participant

AdSolar,
    If I were you – and if it’s absolutely essential to get the passport within 2 weeks (and you don’t want to spend time worrying if it’s going to get back to you in time) – I’d phone up the passport office as soon as possible, schedule an appointment and get over to London, leaving enough time to pick up a form from the Post Office (in other words don’t arrive on a Saturday and have an appointment at 9 am on Monday morning). The form is extremely simple (if need be, ask a friend in the UK to pick up a form from a Post Office and scan and send it to you, so you can see what it contains or even post one to you). The only slightly tricky thing is to make sure you follow the very specific rules for photos, to save time.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I agree, to be 100% sure go to London. Remember, the forms must be filled in with “black” ink and check if the photo’s need certifying on the back.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 124 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls