Germany’s Euros 9 ticket

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

A number of you will be aware of Germany’s special public transport ticket which costs Euros 9 for one whole month.

This is a limited offer. It is valid on public transport and on regional Deutsche Bahn trains. But not, I must stress, on fast mainline and ICE services.

Some here suggest the UK ought to have something similar.

However one wonders whether our systems could cope with demand.

This was the scene at Berlin last weekend.

1 user thanked author for this post.

FormerBA
    Participant

I traveled from Brussels Midi to CDG on Saturday on TVG First Class clocking up speeds of 300km/hr. It was packed but everyone had a seat. It costs 153 Euro for 2 people. I got a discount due to my age!

The day before, I traveled Brussels to Brugge. 2 people for 45 Euro again in First for a journey of over an hour.

The fare from the BRU airport to Ceentrale was 15 euro for 2, made up of less than 5 euro for the fare, and an airport supplement each. After 7pm on a Friday night all fares are half price making the Brugge trip just 23 Euro. Compare this to Reading London at £26 per person in second class.

When my kids were younger I frequently traveled on ICE trains in Germany as they traveled for free. 6 hours Frankfurt to St Johann First Class at half term for skiing, could be had for less that £150 meaning that I was getting a family of 4 to the ski resorts at peak time for about £300 from LHR if using Avios.

Travelling by train in Europe is a joy compared to the mayhem of using trains here. We probably couldn’t cope with 9 euro a month unlimited travel as we can hardly cope with the numbers now.

2 users thanked author for this post.

ViajeroUK
    Participant

Haven’t used DB trains for a couple of years but fully agree with your comments. Similar experience with trains in Poland, especially with the newer Pendolino carriages, very spacious, with drinks and a good choice of freshly prepared food served at your reserved seat in First.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Where can travellers buy the 9 Euro ticket ?

Besides some/most ticket machines and tourist offices one can purchase it from DB (Deutsche Bahn). Not just from the website but I understand also using the DB app.

Details here:

https://www.bahn.com/en/offers/regional/9-euro-ticket-en

The ticket will be valid from now until the end of August.

I am not suggesting readers use the 9 Euro ticket for long journeys (using a collection of slower, regional trains) but it would be a useful saver when using public transport within a city/town or for airport-downtown transfers.

Malcolm
    Participant

I just bought a €9 Euro ticket, for my recent travels in Düsseldorf and Cologne. I simply downloaded the DB App and bought it through that. I believe you need to have some kind of photo ID. To prove you are the one using it. It can be used on all RE and S trains, trams and buses. But not EC or IC trains.

Maaki
    Participant

Let me tell you, it is hardly a joy with trains in Europe, well at least in Germany.
    If you are not travelling for leisure but for business it is getting a chaos at every ride.

A delay of 1 hr is considered “normal” and if you have to change trains, you can take a bet, that the connecting train “couldn´t wait”, “is 70 Min late” etc. etc.
    Unfortunately, there is a flight-bashing (especially by people, who do a one week trip to the Dominion Republic, where they just see the hotel …), but within Germany this (Flight) is the only reliable connection (not to talk about a clean lounge instead of a lousy train station).

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Indeed.

This was one of DW’s staffers’ experience of DB on the day this Euros 9 ticket went on sale.

Andrew
    Participant

It’s not an airport supplement, as I understand. It’s a supplement for travelling on the new (and very expensive to build) Diabolo Line – which happens to serve the airport.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

As I understand it this Euros 9 ticket is valid on all S-Bahn services including the ones linking airports to downtown.

Major airports like Frankfurt, Munich, Dusseldorf, Berlin, Hamburg etc etc all have frequent S-Bahn links to downtown.

And because the ticket is valid for one whole month it can be used many times not just with S-Bahn but with public transport and regional DB trains.

Maaki
    Participant

You are right – this ticket is valid for a full month (but not from the date of sales, so if you buy it on 25th June it will be just valid for the rest of June).
    It works on all trains besides IC, ICE and EC. You have to be careful about some “special” trains, e.g. in the Ruhr-area.
    Anyhow, if you just go to http://www.bahn.com/en and type in your start point and your destination, you will right away see the 9€ ticket possibilities (and the normal priced ones, e.g. for ICE as well).

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Thanks for the additional information information Maaki.

Rail enthusiast Andy Brabin ( @andyBTravels ) alerted me to how to buy this ticket some days ago.

While in Germany he bought the ticket from Weser-Ems / Busverkehr GmbH

But as you say it can be purchased online through DB or, as one reader notes above, via the DB app.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls