German Austrian Rail Service

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Johnnyg
    Participant

Being used to the vagaries of Southern trains I am always impressed with the German Austrian rail service, clean, fast, smooth, efficient and some wonderful staff. This was highlighted last week when I was on the Salzburg – Munich airport service.

During part of the journey to Munich Oest a passenger in my carriage collapsed and the attendant was called, she arrived, made a quick phone call and within a short matter of time an announcement was made that due to this poor mans predicament there would be a short delay at the next station so that the paramedics could meet the train.

Not only were the paramedics waiting on the platform but a stretcher trolley was also there and more importantly the carriage doors stopped exactly where they were waiting. He was soon checked over and was on his way to the hospital, no fuss, just calm efficiency and more importantly no passengers taking film of it to put on social media.

Although we arrived 2 mins late at Oest accompanied by an announcement that they had recd a message that the passenger was ok to travel on a later service.

capetonianm
    Participant

I experienced a similar incident on a Swiss train from ZRH to GVA. A child in my carriage had an allergic reaction to something (not me). I went to find a member of train staff, explained, and within seconds she had made an announcement in three languages for a doctor or nurse to go to coach 6, and 5 minutes later the train stopped at a small station where an ambulance took the two of them off.

A few minutes later there was an announcement to apologise for the ‘verspaetung’ of the train, which must have been all of two minutes, and later we heard that the child was fine.

Isn’t this type of thing a good argument in favour of two man operations on trains, since you mentioned Southern?

CornishExile
    Participant

I understand that the Southern dispute is not about ‘two man’ operation on their trains, but rather which of the two members of staff is responsible for closing the doors.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls