Geneva Airport tremble

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Anonymous

peter19
    Participant

I flew back to the UK from Geneva airport on Saturday and aside from the huge mass of people there (the airport is crazy at weekends just now) the ground of the arrivals area was shaking. I was standing with several other people when became a bit wobbly! After realizing I wasn’t still skiing the ground was indeed shaking.

Anybody had the same experience?

The train station which I thought might have been under the terminal building is actually along side. The ‘tremors’ were frequent and noticeable.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

The train station is under the terminal Peter, as you have to take the escalator to get up to ground level. It was most likely an earthquake in the Alps, or the result of the drilling they are doing in Basel for thermal energy. (I forget the tech term).

Finally, it could be something going in at the Haldton Collidor which I think also runs near or under the airport.

TominScotland
    Participant

More likely a squad of gnomes on an official visit from Zurich, keeping a low profile as they yodel, “Hohe ho, ho hoch, zu Arbeit gehen wir”. (apologies for my German and I do, of course, know that most of the locals will not understand this either)

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Tom, 😉

Swissdiver
    Participant

Not an earthquake according to http://www.seismo.ethz.ch/index_EN. So probably something linked to the heavy work currently taking place (http://www.gva.ch/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-380/).

LP: The train line does not actually go under the terminal but under the the front parking.

And, yes, Saturdays in Winter is peak time for the airport, busier than in Summer.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I stand corrected Swissdiver. Thanks for the link to the Swiss Seismological site. I often feel tremors in Lugano so will be interesting yo see where they originate from.

But, would they be working on a Saturday on the reconstruction/ renovations?

Swissdiver
    Participant

Good point, LP, but since it is not seismological, what else could it be (official Zurich gnomes being off on week-ends)?

DavidGordon10
    Participant

The earthquake risk in Geneva surely cannot be very high? I would not want the Large Hadron Collider to be at risk, even from the gnomes…..

DutchinSwitzerland
    Participant

Hey Peter, as a regular traveller to/from GVA I know what you’re talking about, the building/ground sometimes does shake lightly. I was told once by the lady of the Starbucks on the 1st floor it is related to the construction work going on, i know from experience that they do indeed work on Saturdays. The ones i experienced haven’t been massive but you do feel some sort of movement.

GVA on Saturday in Winter is something to be avoided…….. next worse thing coming up soon….Geneva Automobile Show……

peter19
    Participant

Hi All, Ah well there goes the gnome and earthquake theories! Funnily i did check the website for earthquakes when i got back as i didn’t feel the movement in the departure gate and the upper floor area after security.

Must be difficult for the regular travelers in Geneva at this time if you are flying out on the weekend – there were a few issues at the airport check in areas with some companies needing more check in/drop off desks open! Luckily the security priority gate is a savior there!

Swissdiver
    Participant

Well, Peter, we avoid as much as possible the airport on Saturdays in Winter 🙂

DutchinSwitzerland: the pleasures of the Geneva Automobile Show… 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls