Gatwick hotels

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Anonymous

Potakas
    Participant

As part of my Caribbean adventure I’ll spend two nights at LGW (one each way), I would like to hear if any of you can suggest which hotel is better.

From my research Sofitel seems to be the best, direct access to the North Terminal and decent view of the runway, I could get a room there for 100 pounds (PRESTIGE SUITE for 190), all the other hotels are on the same budget except the Marriott which is at 77 pounds (potentially below 50 with the look no further rate).

The budget is not my major concern as what I want is my holidays to begin/end with the best way.

Thanks

PS I will not be traveling on CW/F so I will not have access to the arrivals lounge at Sofitel.

PPS I have never stayed at a Sofitel property, so no idea what to expect.

Deleted User
    Participant

AIRPORT HOTELS – depends on your definition, but airport hotels within the airport complex can be expensive, sterile and still mean a 20 minute walk from hotel to check in.

Around Gatwick there are many lovely, country style hotels where you can enjoy facilities before and after flights from Gatwick. The only issue is that instead of a 20 minute walk from the hotel to check in, you have a 20 minute taxi ride at £35.00, from hoel to kerb side (but generally, you do miss the M23).

I recognize that it also depends on the time of your flight. Airport complex hotels tend to be favoured by me for early morning flights. But if I have a mid morning flight and the budget permits, I will drive down to the Ashdown Park Hotel, leave my car in their car park (I believe that there is no charge) taxi’s to the airport are or were £35 each way and take 20 minutes. I then enjoy the Ashdowns fabulous facilities which are a lot better than sterlile airport offerings.

Just a thought – all depending on your own definition of an “airport hotel”.

If I am by myself I would tend to use a hotel within th airport complex, but with the wife or girlfriend (I only have 1) I will favour an off airport hotel, except for an early morning departure.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I *think* the Gatwick Arrivals Lounge is a http://www.PriorityPass.com lounge these days, so you might be able to get access on that basis.

You can sign up for A-Club Gold using code “CMBANKACLUB” here:

https://secure.a-club.com/en/select-program.action

Accor tend to have higher than average prices, with some very competitive deals from time to time, but the best way to get a consistent discount is to book with them via http://www.quidco.com for 10% cashback.

I have stayed at both the Sofitel and the Hilton; they are the best options in North and South terminals respectively, so you are right to stay in the Sofitel for a hassle free start to you hols if flying out on BA to the Caribbean.

NTarrant
    Participant

Potakas – I have used the Hilton at LGW many times and even though I always fly out of North terminal the transfer time is quite short. The Hilton does also have some good rates even in holiday times (they always quote exVAT so add 20%).

As Charles points out there are some other hotels, such as the Ashdown or Copthorne which offer nice location but at the cost of an expensive taxi ride.

Potakas
    Participant

Charles- Thank you for suggesting this option but my house is at EDI, so there is no car on London, also I will land at LGW by 18.00 and my next flight is taking off at 12.00 the next morning, so I don’t think I can get anything from a country hotel, I would prefer to spend those 70 pounds (I believe you mean 35 each way for the taxi) to a better package/room at the hotel. Also i prefer to be free and go to the check in area after my breakfast than searching for a taxi . I believe your suggestion would be the best if I could spend a day on the hotel,

VK-Nigel- thanks, those were the options that seems to be the most suitable to me, Marriott seems to be far away (for an airport hotel), also with the offer you mentioned VK I could get some extra benefits on the Sofitel and with the direct North terminal access makes it the one I will go for.

Thanks

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

For budget options I find the Premier Inn is ok, it’s strictly speaking off site but is about 10 minutes walk from the north terminal, though not if you’ve got a trolley load of luggage. There’s also one bad road to cross, a slipway down from the departures level, although last time I was there it was closed for renovation so no problem. There is one more road to cross beside the garage adjacent to the hotel, but visibility is ok and it’s not too busy. There is a hotel bus service but I’ve never used it. Hotel itself is the usual offering.

CallMeIshmael
    Participant

If you were looking for something a little special. Off airport but only 5 mins away from Gatwick terminals, try Langshott Manor in Horley, the original Gatwick town. It is an extremely characterful boutique style, small, elegant, historic hotel with many awards.

http://www.alexanderhotels.co.uk/langshott/

The restaurant is superb, the garden a small delight. A most romantic venue to start your holiday. I believe transfers are gratis though need to check.

Potakas
    Participant

Ishmael, this one is wonderful !!!!

Unfortunately no availability for the night I want it ;(

CallMeIshmael
    Participant

Pity, maybe on your return 😉

As the Gravetye, which had a Michellin Star, is under refurb

http://www.gravetyemanor.co.uk/gravetye/en/index.jsp

the other, not quite of the standard but of a similar ilk 7 miles,15mins away is Ghyll Manor – in Rusper between Crawley and Horsham

http://www.csmaclubretreats.co.uk/hotels/ghyll/index.php

Again full of character, it has changed management recently. I doubt if its transfers are gratis so will be £20-£30 though please check.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls