Fridays Fun Topic- 5 of the best

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

• K1ngston
    Participant

Wow you nailed Tallinnman what a great review 🙂

MrMichael
    Participant

+1 K1ngston. Envious of Tallinman on Concorde…one of my great regrets was never having flown that bird. Interesting I heard once people describe aircraft like….there goes a jumbo….there goes a 777 etc, with Concorde it was “there goes Concorde”, not “there goes a Concorde”.

canucklad
    Participant

No need to apologise MrMichael , definitely a topic where digression and deviation is to be encouraged. And now let me digress…..

Tallinnman….. Firstly, have you been brave enough or man enough to “Experience” the south stand ?
    And strangely, for all my trips to HK, I can count in single figures the amount of times I’ve been on the Star Ferry. My journey is very specifically the 3.30 am departure from Pier3 which is normally open topped for the 30 minute journey home…..well at least to the plaza : )
    HK Ian….needing some local knowledge to stop my numbskulls tormenting me please , in my original post I said the 7/11, but I’m sure its another store inside Pier3 …maybe called K??

And cheers to all, for reminding me about my …..
    Helicopter ride over Manhattan and down to the Lady.
    Harbour Bridge, Opera House, Manly Ferry, Blue Mountains and ehmmmm, being best man at the same time ! …what a week!!
    Bushmills and the Giants Causeway, and alexpo…definitely swimming in warm waters. When I mention the Greek Islands to my Canadian Clan they go green with envy!!

And talking about green with envy……for those of you who’ve experienced Concorde…..
    “ You lucky,lucky *******” Y’all have a nice day now…….

Wonderful Tallinnman. Sadly I never got to fly Concorde but remember at school a friend’s parents won a trip to New York, flying out on Concorde, 3 nights at the Waldorf Astoria and return on the QE2. What a prize!

K1ngston, I honestly don’t think you could pay me serious money to do a bungee jump. In fact I am certain!

Hope you didn’t mind the Segway diversion canucklad. It was MrMichael’s fault!!

Out of interest, what was the average flight time on Concorde to New York..both outbound and inbound?

MrMichael
    Participant

Alexpo, everything’s my fault…….your starting to sound like MrsM! Regarding the average on Concorde, do not know but I believe about 3hrs20. The record was 2.50.

Canucklad, Manly Ferry…..oh yes, followed by a Latte at the Manly Ferry restaurant.

Buenos dĂ­as Don Michael. Thanks for the compliment!

2 hours 50 minutes is simply mind blowing.

BigDog.
    Participant

Good one Canucklad
    Natural Sights :
    1) Grand Canyon – with many other sights you get glimpses when approaching. With the Grand Canyon there is nothing until you get to the edge then Woooow. Still need to take a raft trip down it though.
    2) Sedona – at day break and Sunset.
    3) Iceland – Geyser & Gulfoss. Motorcycle trekking across the centre.
    4)Koh Samui 25 years ago, not now.
    5) Skye

Road Trips
    1) Iceland Motorcycle circumnavigating and trekking to the centre.
    2) Brisbane – Darwin
    3) Blues Highway
    4) Alaska Seward and Dalton
    5) NZ North Island

Tallinnman
    Participant

Canucklad – not sure which direction the stand was orientated by the end of the day but yes we were in the rowdy one where you went as high up as you could to avoid flying objects but not too high to catch the attention of the missile throwers.

Great laugh but left very wet and not just from the rain that year.

Went last year and the ‘rowdy’ stand has become a corporate fancy dress party – had to get separate outfits for each day!

On Concorde we had a tech delay for about 45 minutes sat on the tarmac – it was wonderful. Would’ve been gutted to have been on the 2.50 flight!

ViajeroUK
    Participant

Random order, and quite difficult to pick five only, but………

First African Safari, Maasai Mara, my first wild lions, group of three males lounging under the shade of a tree, watching us watching them, way back in the 1980’s before Kenya became too crowded.

Galapagos Islands in general, but in particular snorkeling off the back of the boat, with instructions from the guide not to get too close to any seals, except the seals didn’t know that and were very playful and inquisitive. Spotted two sharks some distance off, so returned to the boat, to be told not to worry, they are only white tipped reef sharks, won’t harm you!

Helicopter flight at Grand Canyon USA, skimming over tree tops on approach to canyon, great sense of speed, suddenly the trees ended, crater rim, huge space below, felt as though we had stopped, awesome sensation!

Greek ferry to Santorini island, rounded the headland to enter the caldera, and suddenly everyone on deck stopped talking, tingling back of the neck, amazing scenery.

Best of all has to be BA 001 LHR to JFK, we were sat in front of a BA employee with her mother, prior to landing at JFK the steward told them to remain seated after landing and they could visit the cockpit, as we were in earshot he included us in the invite, such a cramped cockpit but so lucky to be able to see it.

So many others, Kings Canyon hike, helicopter over Victoria Falls, Ryokan stay in Kyoto, landing at Cape Horn and my first ever flight in a BEA Viscount.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls