Friday nonsense

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Anonymous

TominScotland
    Participant

Came across this on SAA’s website. Has anyone else come across well-intentioned absurdities in the business travel world?

“Disclaimer
    The information in this e-mail is confidential and is legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If this e-mail is not intended for you, you cannot copy, distribute or disclose the included information to anyone and request that the mail be deleted. While all reasonable steps have been taken to ensure the accuracy and integrity of all data transmitted electronically, SAA does not accept liability if the data, for whatever reason, is corrupt or does not reach its intended destination. Please note that this e-mail and the contents thereof is subject to the standard SAA E-mail Disclaimer which may be found at http://www.flysaa.com/legal/za_email_disclaimer_frameset.html . Should you not have access to the internet, send an e-mail to <a href="mailto:[email protected]“>[email protected] and a copy will be sent to you.”

capetonianm
    Participant

Same of type of crap in the small print in many areas of the corporate world, but it does seem to be particularly verbose in SA. Pretty much every email I get from any type of business in SA (banks, government departments, municipalities, etc) has the same type of verbal dysentry on it.

TominScotland
    Participant

Yes but the subtle touch is the idea of e-mailing if you don’t have access to the internet!!

capetonianm
    Participant

Good point Tom, I missed that. Better get my morning tea, it wakes my brain up!

transtraxman
    Participant

Even if you do not have access to internet to receive emails, you can still send them from other sources.

This sort of disclaimer is very common on many emails I receive.

TominScotland
    Participant

transtraxman, this may be true in 0.01% of cases but the reality is that there has to be some sort of a network available, before a message can be passed from one computer to another. If not the internet, then an intranet, a private network of computers owned by the organization, is necessary to carry and deliver a mail.

The very rarely used exceptions are services (ex: Quickmailcheck) that allow users to send emails through text messages via their cell phones without signing up to the Internet. Even with this sort of system, however, it is arguable that their use constitutes accessing the internet albeit indirectly.

transtraxman
    Participant

What I meant was that when you have a webmail (like the majority of us – sited on the web) not an email (which is sited on your computer). This webmail is always there and receiving even if you do not have access. Thus when you are out of touch(e.g. computer crash) you can still access your contacts from outside sources – e.g. other people´s computers or cibercafes etc.

Whatever, it is no big deal.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

..but a corporate email without an email disclaimer is sadly not taken seriously these days. The disclaimer and company logo disclaimer / signature – dress the email very nicely.

As for the contents of these disclaimers – its all B****cks. The bank I am currently exiting, held themselves accountable by sending out an unquantifiable number of F & M hampers, when statements and address labels didn’t match! I thought for one minute I had won the lottery……. Did the disclaimer do anything … huh???

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Surely, if you don’t have Internet access you wouldn’t get the email in the first place, would you?

I dream of getting an email from a corporate lawyer or bank discussing an as yet unannounced bid for xyz industries plc!!! 😉

TominScotland
    Participant

LP, I think that was the point of my posting in the first place…….. You cannot read the notification because you don’t have the internet and then you cannot send an e-mail to let them know that you have not read it – or something like that!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls