Friday Fun – Time I’ve Spent on the Forum

Back to Forum
  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=912250]Sadly I have still to meet any participants in person. Would there be any interest in a link detailing which lounges members will be in?[/quote]

First, happy New Year to all and may your travels be interesting, fruitful and safe.

Many years ago when I, friends, business associates etc travelled and hotels used toe good old fashioned keys, we had a tag made, about the size of a credit card, and we would hang these on the hook where the key went. We could then see if any of our group (about 30 of us) were in the hotel so we could meet up for dinner. It’s amazing the number of times you can stay in a hotel, especially the larger ones, and not know if someone you know is staying there.

Times have moved on so I guess the only way now would be with a BT WhatsApp travel group. An idea perhaps Tom? Or anyone else?

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Well we are arranging regular meet-ups in London, as you know.

Business Traveller Events

And we have tried to subsidise these as much as possible to make them good value for readers.

Whatsapp groups are popular, though I know there are a lot of people who refuse to have the app because of its Facebook ownership.

Here’s an interview with the founder of Whats app – I sold my user’s privacy.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

We forgot to capitalise his name – He Who Should Not Be Mentioned….

He called me once, as my phone number is not a secret – if I told you who he was I would have to shoot both you and myself. So I will always respect his confidence. Suffice it to say that I was staggered to get a phone call from a guy who said “Hi, I am x x, also known as Nouveau Prosecco. How’s it going?”

‘Nuf said. Suffice it to say that he told me that almost all of his posts were p+ss takes. “Really??!!” For which, to some extent, I admire him.

Safe travels and Happy New Whatsit,

Simon

2 users thanked author for this post.

alainboy56
    Participant

In a rightfield related query.

I have little time in the normal working week (where I live Sat to Thurs. And therefore do most of my ‘browsing’ and ‘responding’ on a Friday.

I have a technical query for Tom. Several times recently, I have submitted (on one occasion quite lengthy) responses or views and then realised there were spelling mistakes. By using your ‘edit’ facility, I did the necessary corrections and resubmitted it. However to my utter disappointment it disappeared. It showed that I was the last contributor to add an item on that particular ‘thread’ but it wasn’t there. I assumed that after refreshing or even after some time your system would reinstate it, but alas it wasn’t to be.

This has happened to me on a couple of occasions and I wonder if it has occurred to fellow contributors on here.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Firstly, many apologies. I can imagine how annoying it is to firstly take the time to post, and then make corrections having read through that post, and then losing it.

I really don’t know what the answer is, or even if we were quickly alerted, whether we could locate the corrected post in some cache somewhere.

I’m assuming you posted the comment, then once it had appeared on the website, you used the time allowed to edit it, pressed submit once again, and then it disappeared?

I will ask our Web people to investigate.

Thank you, Tom

MatchboxGirl
    Participant

This is a lovely post – and I think this is my first post on the forum! I’m a long time lurker, I like to spend having a nosey through the forum when I have some downtime in the office. It’s proved very useful in keeping me one step ahead of my travellers so thank you all.

capetonianm
    Participant

I have signed up for ‘events’ and may be able to attend the London one at the end of this month.

I am open-minded on WhatsApp groups, the main problem being that they tend to generate too many spurious messages. I used WhatsApp long before it was associated with FB, and although I have never used FB, and never will, cancelling WhatsApp is a bit extreme.

A private members’ page with login required would seem to suffice in this case.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Hello alainboy56.

I found the comments in the spam folder and approved them (sorry about the delay).

Nearly everything in the spam folder is just that, but I think the detector gets spooked sometimes if something is edited and then it triggers, so many apologies.

I actually found a few other regular posters’ postings in there as well – so you were not alone.

PatJordan
    Participant

Simon, you actually spoke to He Who Should Not Be Mentioned!!

I’ve spent a good chunk of today (longer than I spent on the forum!) trying to guess his identity. As well as respecting his confidence, you disclose no clues aside from his gender.

I will openly admit to spending a chunk of today (more time than I spent on the forum!) wondering who exactly he might be. Was I alone in so doing, or are others doing likewise.

Oh Simon, what a lofty achievement to be a keeper of this great secret.

Pat.

2 users thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=912665]I actually found a few other regular posters’ postings in there as well – so you were not alone.[/quote]

I think a couple of mine ended up there as I’ve had a similar problem. I now copy the text and then submit reply, just in case!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=912696]Oh Simon, what a lofty achievement to be a keeper of this great secret.[/quote]

I too am most curious, but if it’s just John Doe it won’t really enrich my life knowing, however if it’s Willy Walsh (and he was a big BA fan remember) that would add a bit of something to my fairly ordinary life 😉

I respect Simon however for guarding this secret. I’ve met many forum posters and become friends with several, but I suppose it’s some unwritten moral code that say’s it’s something you do not do no matter how much you may disagree with the poster.

I’m still curious though 😉 😉

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

[quote quote=912924]

I actually found a few other regular posters’ postings in there as well – so you were not alone.

I think a couple of mine ended up there as I’ve had a similar problem. I now copy the text and then submit reply, just in case![/quote]

It’s a good idea, but it shouldn’t be necessary. I will keep an eye on that folder just in case.

Happy New Year, Tom

PatJordan
    Participant

Do you know LP, Willie Walsh’s name crossed my mind too…

Simon being an absolute gentleman, I doubt we’ll ever know.

And like LP, I’m still curious 🤔

fatbear
    Participant

I too am curious ! I thought the posts were quite well written so if a pi$$take maybe SRB rather than WW ??!!

fatbear
    Participant

[quote quote=904033]
    We are always ipen to new ideas
    [/quote]
    I’ve heard of an iPhone or ipad…………

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls