Friday Fun – Plagiarising Tom

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• canucklad
    Participant

Listened to Tom’s podcast yesterday and the last question he answered is a perfect question to be shared for the weekend ………

Q) If you had a choice, what whisky would you drink, with whom (Anybody Dead or Alive) and where in the world would you drink it

For me, it would be …

An 18 year old large Glenkinchie with 2 cubes of ice , with Erwin Rommel under an Acacia Tree on top of the Kenyan escarpment overlooking the Rift Valley

What about anybody else ?

1 user thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Yes, mine was Henry VIII on the night he’s deciding to try and divorce Katherine of Aragon and try to father a male heir for the throne, creating a constituional crisis, a split in the Church and the deaths of an awful lot of people, including some of his wives.

We would have an Islay malt at Hampton Court, watching the Thames flow by etc…

capetonianm
    Participant

“An 18 year old large” …………. oh, I read that as an 18 year old with large ……

A large Ardbeg 17 y/o (18 would do) neat …….. Probably by the banks of a river in the Eastern Transvaal or if I could travel back in time, the Highlands of Rhodesia, with Ian Smith, who was a fascinating and engaging character.

Daniel9
    Participant

On the podcast we’ve had some extraordinary answers.
    We’ve had grandmothers and fathers – and associated tears.
    Arsene Wenger, Fred Estaire, someone even tried to do Hitler, but we talked him down.
    It’s been expensive whiskies, cheap whiskies, dramatic backdrops and lots of wild locations in Scotland.
    It’s a great question for whisky, wouldn’t work so well with beer.

nevereconomy
    Participant

Daniel – I think you mean Astaire, unless you are referring to a Fred from a smallish town in Ontario..

GivingupBA
    Participant

A glass of fine brandy with Winston Churchill on 1st June 1945 at dinner in Chequers.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Lagavulin 16 – with one more opportunity to speak to my parents with questions I never found time to ask….

4 users thanked author for this post.

GivingupBA
    Participant

Martyn said, “with one more opportunity to speak to my parents with questions I never found time to ask….”

Absolutely right. Both my parents died when I was relatively young / immature. While I don’t have urgent or important questions I wish I’d asked them, there are so many things now I’d want to say or ask now, but it’s too late.

Montysaurus
    Participant

Benriach Organic malt drunk anywhere in the company of one of the most evil men ever. I would love to know how his mind worked to cause such appalling things to happen but I am reluctant to name him in case anyone should mistake my interest for support for his views.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=978990]in the company of one of the most evil men ever[/quote]

Mmmmm, I’d have thought Piers Morgan would of been more of a Monkey shoulder drinker than a Benriach Organic!

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

A bottle of decent champagne, some time in 1948, with Geoffrey de Havilland senior, in the workshops where he was creating the Comet, and I’d have advised him to fit the thing with oval windows, drill rather than punch the screw holes for the panels, reinforce every cut-out in the pressure cabin, and start work on the follow-up model while the original Comet was still being built.
    “Trust me on this, Mr. de Havilland. You’ve stolen a five-year march on the Yanks. Don’t risk losing it.”

LuganoPirate
    Participant

A Glenfarclas 25 years which I’d sniff rather than drink, along with a Cohiba Behike 54 cigar.
    Where: On the deck of my home on Gondwana Game Reserve
    With: Che Guevara and Marilyn Monroe

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[postquote quote=979073][/postquote]

And perhaps a little earlier with Frank Whittle saying “So the Government won’t renew the patent – borrow the money and renew it yourself. Trust me, you’ll get your money back…”

Too many historical figures for me to mention so I would go for Miriam Margolyes and whatever whisky she is most likely to drink a lot of, in any place where she is most likely to shock as many people as possible. I might just die laughing.

Swissdiver
    Participant

It would be Gruaud Larose 1982, with the friends I was doing all sorts of stupid things when it was bottled… Where? Somewhere by the Mediterranean Sea!
    (well, may-be I should organise this! :-))

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls