Frequent traveller: Baby blues

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 75 total)

• Binman62
    Participant

Travelcrusier…you are behind the times with the MAS news LuganPirate higlighted this 3 days ago on the 27th June.

I also think you views are behind the times and I would wager MAS will come to regret their decision and reverse it very soon.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Travelcruiser

In the years I have posted on this site, I have read some c*ap. But never such offensive, self-serving, PRENTENTIOUS BS as you have posted. I agree wholehartedly with the others above. Get a life, for Christ’s sake.

And if I didn’t respect Tom Otley and the others on this Forum, I’d tell you exactly how I feel about your offensiveness.

npchuaMY
    Participant

The following is an official statement in MAS’ website:

Statement by Malaysia Airlines’ Director of Operations
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 6:00 PM GMT +8.

INFANT TRAVEL ON MALAYSIA AIRLINES

In view of the recent media attention on the above subject, Malaysia Airlines wishes to clarify as follows:

Currently Malaysia Airlines operates an aircraft fleet comprising B737s, Airbus A330s, B777s and B747s.

Except for B747s, the remaining aircraft are currently configured for Business and Economy class travel. All these aircraft are equipped with bassinet facilities to cater for infant travel.

Likewise, bassinet facilities were originally available in the First, Business and Economy class zones of the 747’s.

In 2003, Malaysia Airlines embarked on a revamp of First and Business class cabin of the B747s. The First class seat configuration was reduced from 18 to 12 for passengers to enjoy increased cabin space and extended legroom.

Each new seat came with an electrically operated ottoman that doubles as a visitor seat and could convert to a lie-flat bed with the main seat. As a result of this seat revamp and the introduction of the ottoman, there was no facility for positioning bassinets in the First Class of the B747s.

The reconfigured B747s were mounted into our flight network since November 2004.

Since then Malaysia Airlines has been accepting infants for travel in Economy and Business class of the flights operated by 747 aircraft.

The B747 aircraft is currently used for flights on certain routes like Sydney-Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur-London, Kuala Lumpur-Amsterdam and Kuala Lumpur-Buenos Aires.

Capt Mohamed Azharuddin Osman
    Director of Operations
    Malaysia Airlines
    29 June 2011

Binman62
    Participant

npchuaMY….Interesting post.

Is this an atempt by MAS to pour “baby” oil on troubled waters?

Still think it is a huge blunder on their part.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

This is such a hot topic and so divided just like the debates on smoking/no smoking in past.

As we are in the free world, customers can CHOOSE to welcome or distance themself from the new Malaysian Airlines policy on baby travellers.

There is no such a thing as right or wrong but different opinions exsist.

Buyers decide!

VoyageVoyage
    Participant

Well, I don’t know about you, but I would have more complains about ADULTS being rude, stupid, slow, having to much baggage, talking too loud, arguing with the cabin crew, drunk, stinky, dirty, too talkative, sick and late than I would have about children. I know where you’re coming from, but I strongly believe adults are the problem…

npchuaMY
    Participant

Boris…

I agree with you. No one can deny a child’s right to travel in F or C class, as long as he/she is a paying passenger.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I believe that any carrier has the right to decide who they sell to. If an airline decides to banish the under 12 from a certain cabin, it is their right to do so.

In the same way that an airline recently decided to offload a black person for wearing his trousers half way down his legs but permitted a white man dressed as a women to board. (and people wonder why lawyers are so wealthy in the States!!)

Personally, I would prefer a snooze zone, where the seats are flat, service limited and passengers and crew in such zones were banned from talking!

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Bravo Martyn for giving a netural view as I have seen such a lot of emotional inputs in the last year.

I believe SAS had a Snooze zone for a couple of years for flights betwen Europe and Asia.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Boris – you are absolutely correct. Well said.

Martyn – it may be an airline’s right to choose, bit equally it’s out choice not to use them.

Also, my reading of the MAS decision is that it’s got nothing to do with infant behaviour/banning per se (as others have suggested) but everything to do with maximising the seat layout, ergo the revenue stream.

Cheers, Simon

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Simon, spot on, basic chemistry or was it physics,

for every action there is a reaction

airline refuses to sell ticket to baby, baby and parent refuse to fly airline. Plenty of choice

End result, so bloody what!!!

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Martyn,

“So a bloody lot” if they happen to fly on the route you want, at a time convenient to you and at a reasonable fare.

You seem to be very conflict-orientated lately on here, Martyn. Not like you at all.

Simon

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hi Simon

Me, conflict, wrong person…………calm as life itself. Just had a lovely meal at a fabulous restaurent in the West End, HUSH and walked 15 miles to get partially home. Feel on top on my game.

My previous point was being made to really question the effect of Malaysian Airlines. I dont think that their new baby ban procedure is worth worrying about, just choose another airline. I dont think any of the majors would follow suit.

“so bloody what” perhaps a little strong, but meaning, bearing in mind the airline in question, not really earth shattering news.

Must do some yoga before I go to bed.

Nite nite all!

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Night, Night, Martyn.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 75 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls