Frequent traveller: Baby blues

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 75 total)

• openfly
    Participant

This post has really touched a nerve with some embarrassed parents…!! Lighten up.

lloydah
    Participant

Yes. Lighten up! I took the Anonymous post with a pinch of salt but there’s certainly some truth in it. As someone who’s family has been in the “education” business I know as well as anyone there are good and bad parents as well as good and bad children. I’d no more let mine sit and yell in any class when flying any more than they would ruin a performance at the theatre or cinema. It just that some parents think theirs are the only kids on this earth and don’t or won’t do anything to stop them infringing on the personal space of others. And that includes noise. Badly brought up children grow into the thoughtless selfish adults you sometimes come across in F.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Iloydah – I agree with you.

Openfly – I’m not an embarrassed parent at all. Far from it. Don’t make such arrogant assertions.

northseatiger
    Participant

Well said binman & Simon Rowberry.

It is becoming a boring topic throughout the internet about kids in premium cabins. If their ticket has been paid for, they have just as much right to access the service as the next person. Honestly, I have yet to find a post about noisy kids on the tube or the number 74 going to Wandsworth.

I find the irritating employee going to a really big meeting in bus. class far more objectionable than any of the kids I have come across in 30 years of flying.

Time to grow up folks, it is a means of transport and unless you are David Beckham with your own plane, you will need to get used to the fact that many people use this method of transportation.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Absolutely with you on this, Northseatiger.

Thanks for standing up and being counted!

What I find sad is that given the extensive correspondence on this issue on at least two other threads, one must wonder whether BT published this “article” simply to stir up some controversy and elicit responses.

Simon

ChesterSimons
    Participant

Simon Rowberry – you are quite right that the posting elicited 19 responses. Perhaps Mr (or Mrs). Anonymous makes these postings holding a big wooden spoon, to simply create debate – I guess that this is what the forum is here for, although I do note the rising temperatures in some, who responded.

judynagy
    Participant

Simon, you don’t have to respond in Hungarian, we speak English in Minnesota. What is a prat? Is it related to unnecessary noise? I plead ignorance.

ChesterSimons
    Participant

Hey Judy – since moving to London I have had to keep a dictionary close to me for this very reason, however, “prat” is not mentioned in my Oxford Dictionary. Send my love to Woodbury if you are near there.

binabdulaziz
    Participant

Judynagy

I ask expat colleague what means ‘prat.’

It rude word, but means something like ignorant idiot.

I been Minnesota, with great respect you no speak English there, you speak American.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hi Binabdulaziz.

Actually it technically means ‘buttock’ and it is an extremely mild word, like ‘pillock.’

Also, to be a pedant, there is no such language as “American.” The language is English.

Cheers, Simon

binabdulaziz
    Participant

Hi Mr SImon

Pillock. Sounds like small hill 🙂

About American, I learning ironey from expat colleagues!

BradCarle
    Participant

..and while we’re focusing on language, I think Mr Binman might have meant “boor” (churlish, rude, or unmannerly) rather than “bore”. Simultaneous ‘snoring and flatulence ‘ isn’t boring.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Brad – it’s actually probably quite hard to do, as well!!

Simon

BradCarle
    Participant

Apparently not for the traveller sleeping next to me on a recent QF flight Simon. But we bring down the tone of the thread so I propose an end to it!

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Good call, Brad!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 75 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls