French ATC strike May 22

Back to Forum

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 42 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  capetonianm 25 May 2018
at 17:00

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)

• Hktbound
    Participant

When is the next strike please? I heard a rumor it’s on Saturday? Can anyone confirm?

JohnnyG
    Participant

Now I opened this thread to see if there might be any disruption to a Swiss fight I am taking tomorrow through French airspace.

Of the 29 posts to date, 3 convey information alone, and the rest are opinion. Now, quite often, opinions on this forum are useful but I submit that almost all of the 26 opinion posts in this thread are not at all useful.

Yes, things are getting very over-heated once again, which is a shame, because there was a sign that it was beginning to attract new users (and spam and trolls, but that goes with the territory).

Can we try and stick to the topic threads please?

Tom Otley +1

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Hktbound – I’ve not heard of any strikes announced for this Saturday (26). There was one on 26 May 2016(!)

Am due to fly AF on 26th, so fingers crossed. Hoping all goes according to plan, may even try and post a quick review…..will don my tin hat.

pheighdough
    Participant

hello. As i posted initially I’ve heard a strike in the Marseille/Nice area this weekend, which coincides with the Monaco GP. Nothing more known at the moment

Kimi_CDG
    Participant

As mentioned in the original post, a strike is planned on May 26th and 27th. ATC workers at Marseille airport only. Flights to/from Marseille, Nice and Corsica should be affected.

https://www.deplacementspros.com/Les-controleurs-aeriens-de-Marseille-en-greve-fin-mai_a48358.html

I have just read also about a strike in Italy for the same dates:
    – first at Milan airport (ground staff) only on May 26th
    – workers from train companies Italio and Trenitalia should be on strike this weekend as well. I do not know how exactly traffic will be impacted.

https://www.garda.com/fr/crisis24/alertes-de-securite/119976/italy-air-and-rail-worker-strikes-may-26-27-update-1

pheighdough
    Participant

Industrial Action has been called for LFMM – Marseille Flight Information Region (area impacting Nice/Marseille) 0430 UTC Saturday 26th May until 0430 UTC Mon 28th May.

A teleconference will be held for DSNA (in French language) on Thursday 24th May at 0930 UTC.

The NOTAM has not yet been issued.

Edski777
    Participant

It’s beginning to hurt. My company has cancelled all travel to and through France by air. A customer from an area south of Paris has been advised to visit us in stead of us going to them and take the train or travel by car.
    According to this French gentleman most French people are fed up with this situation. The strikers seem to have forgotten what it was all about that started this and “are striking because of the striking”.

Kimi_CDG
    Participant

According to this French gentleman most French people are fed up with this situation.

Obviously, they are. So am I. I’m stuck in the middle of nowhere in France, trying to find a solution because all the trains to Paris are cancelling. 5 daily trains, all cancelled.
    Carpooling is booming at the moment. The most popular app, BlaBlaCar is even chartering coaches on some routes.

capetonianm
    Participant

Industrial Action has been called for LFMM – Marseille Flight Information Region (area impacting Nice/Marseille) 0430 UTC Saturday 26th May until 0430 UTC Mon 28th May.

I’d heard that from another source and it would make sense because it would do the maximum amount of damage to people traveling to and from the Monaco Grand Prix.

If the French are finally getting fed up with it then that may result in a positive outcome will though I’m not quite sure what can be done to reverse decades of a sense of entitlement and superiority by French employees (I won’t call them workers) which allows the strikes to take place.

On a personal note it’s probably also correct as Murphy’s Law applies to me because I have a flight crossing that area on Sunday night.

Kimi_CDG
    Participant

I’m not quite sure what can be done to reverse decades of a sense of entitlement and superiority by French employees (I won’t call them workers) which allows the strikes to take place.

With all due respect, this comment wasn’t necessary.

capetonianm
    Participant

I hadn’t realised that it was illegal to express an opinion in case anyone disagrees.

I shall not refrain from doing so in future.

Kimi_CDG
    Participant

Well, you have written this in several posts from several threads. I think everyone here got your point.
    It’s up to the moderators, not myself to decide if your comments are relevant. It’d be great to stick only to the topic though.

Written from a coach to Paris because I couldn’t find a train with these strikes. My upcoming flight might get cancelled anyway.
    Don’t think I’m enjoying this situation. I don’t use it to generalise though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@capetonianm
    There’s nothing personal in my comment. To be honest, I have always appreciated your inputs in various threads and enjoyed your sense of humour and sarcasm.
    Without touching your freedom of expression, please allow me to be offended when my fellow countrymen and myself are insulted.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Well, you have written this in several posts from several threads. I think everyone here got your point.

It’s up to the moderators, not myself to decide if your comments are relevant. It’d be great to stick only to the topic though.

Written from a coach to Paris because I couldn’t find a train with these strikes. My upcoming flight might get cancelled anyway.

Don’t think I’m enjoying this situation. I don’t use it to generalise though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kimi, I agree with you about the endless, mindless childish comments from Capetonian. I too wish the moderators would stop this and let the site relate to business travel. You can see how few posts there are now from the “old regulars”.

Just arrived back from France on a flight that was delayed partly because Nantes security screening broke down, and partly because Nantes baggage handling broke down. Lots of signs in overhead gantries on the motorways recommending car share. Peter Kaye will be busy:-)

Edski777
    Participant

Well, we can stop complaining about the French and their tendency to strike in stead of work.
    It has spread to the UK as well. It looks like this coming weekend there will be a 23 hour strike at Luton airport among Menzies groundstaff.

Can we please start complaining now that the ’80s are back. Coalminers have been retrained to handle baggage and revert to their old trade?
    Dump May, bring back Mrs T?

[Sarcasm off]
    🙂 🙂 🙂

capetonianm
    Participant

There is still no NOTAM for this strike as far as I can see.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller September 2019 edition
Business Traveller September 2019 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls